• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Deadkey vs swing

Weeks later, Still no solid answer

Well its been weeks and radio hasnt made it to the car, because i dont have a solid answer. On this cobra 25 there is a swing kit. With the amp (HDV250) its around 50w swinging upwards to its peek. If I run it barefoot, It would be around 1w swinging to 10 or so. Will this get out farther barefoot with the swing kit, or just sound like shit? IF so should I put a switch to bypass the swing kit when running it barefoot? I am have given up asking whats better low deadkey or high deadkey, so I will just have to trust that with this particular amp the swing kit sounds good with it, BUT the fact still remains I am confused with the DK-swing when barefoot. .. No one seems to know which one will get farther, and sound better. Hell even willing to sacrifice a little sound to reach home farther. I know eventually I will need another 2 pill So thus why I Want to leave the cap/resistor that was in it already, but less then a watt deadkey and swinging to around 10 barefoot just seems a little low considering stock its usually 4w DK.. so I am trying to understand (without getting to technical) how it plays with and without and amp.. And everyone keeps going off track!

im happy with the size of my penis , i dont need big swing on a meter or a distorted over modulated signal to make me feel worthy .

I am happy with my penis too.. 8" would like more width, BUT that wont do anything as to making my cb sound at its best, and talking to wife at home now will it LOL

first of all,

T M I!!! LOL

ok, if you were to install a switch to bypass the swing kit, you would probably be deadkeying somewhere around 4 watts.

this would mean you will be 1 S-unit stronger in someone's receive than if you were deadkeying 1 watt.

only you can decide if this is a significant difference to your situation.

if that barefoot 1 watt mobile is only hitting the base station at 1 or 2 S-units, you may want that 4 watt deadkey for some added reliability.

if you are hitting the base with 5 or so S-units, i wouldnt worry about a 1 S-unit difference either way.

my opinion is just to leave it as it is, swing kit and all, and just use it like that till you get an amp.

if the wife cant hear you, then you can try bypassing it the swing kit and getting that 4 watt deadkey. just remember that we are only talking about a difference of 1 S-unit.
LC

first of all,

T M I!!! LOL

ok, if you were to install a switch to bypass the swing kit, you would probably be deadkeying somewhere around 4 watts.

this would mean you will be 1 S-unit stronger in someone's receive than if you were deadkeying 1 watt.

only you can decide if this is a significant difference to your situation.

if that barefoot 1 watt mobile is only hitting the base station at 1 or 2 S-units, you may want that 4 watt deadkey for some added reliability.

if you are hitting the base with 5 or so S-units, i wouldnt worry about a 1 S-unit difference either way.

my opinion is just to leave it as it is, swing kit and all, and just use it like that till you get an amp.

if the wife cant hear you, then you can try bypassing it the swing kit and getting that 4 watt deadkey. just remember that we are only talking about a difference of 1 S-unit.
LC

LOL.. I dont remember writing that... I had a small can of beer for celebration, God it doesnt mix well with my medicine LOL.. Thanks so much, One final question. Awhile ago you were helping me with my 142 base. its around 100W dk swinging to 250 aka max..Should I leave it there, or indeed in the 45-55 mark? Thats why I was so curious about the 25 I bought with that kit in it.. I usually dont do that mod, but it put it right at the 50W deadkey mark with amp set to full, and sounds good. So what would be best on the base? Currenly on base I run amp on low and ppl say it sounds better, but with the 25 I run full and ppl say its awsome.. So do I turn the base dk down, or just leave it as is, with amp turned down?
thanks a million.. Will try a switch on that 25 for giggles

:headbang:headbang:headbang
LOL.. I dont remember writing that... I had a small can of beer for celebration, God it doesnt mix well with my medicine LOL.. Thanks so much, One final question. Awhile ago you were helping me with my 142 base. its around 100W dk swinging to 250 aka max..Should I leave it there, or indeed in the 45-55 mark? Thats why I was so curious about the 25 I bought with that kit in it.. I usually dont do that mod, but it put it right at the 50W deadkey mark with amp set to full, and sounds good. So what would be best on the base? Currenly on base I run amp on low and ppl say it sounds better, but with the 25 I run full and ppl say its awsome.. So do I turn the base dk down, or just leave it as is, with amp turned down?
thanks a million.. Will try a switch on that 25 for giggles
:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbangleave it alone!its fine.

Thanks for answer but i also have a question for you? I have a galaxy dx66v and its being worked over and it will hook up to a yasesu FL 110 amplifier. The amp is meant to only have a 10/15 watt input and output will be around 100/150 watts. If i understood what you said that if i have a good amp and then set up the output to 80 percent of the max and do this with the varialble output on my galaxy? If i misunderstood you please correct me . ONE more question if my amp has a 6 pin connection and i do not have the correct connector ...What is the best way to do the folowoing: pins 1/6 ned to be jumpered (the pos) and pins 5/6 need to be jumpered (neg ) and then go to my power suppy battery . thanks and if i have overstepped my visit Thaks for the answer that has helped me
Is This Country Great or What

dead key vs swing

It is best to have the amplifier balanced or matched to the radio.
there is only one that i know of that has the knowlege to accomplish
this. he is at west memphis ak. good luck!!!

Well its been weeks and radio hasnt made it to the car, because i dont have a solid answer. On this cobra 25 there is a swing kit. With the amp (HDV250) its around 50w swinging upwards to its peek. If I run it barefoot, It would be around 1w swinging to 10 or so. Will this get out farther barefoot with the swing kit, or just sound like shit? IF so should I put a switch to bypass the swing kit when running it barefoot? I am have given up asking whats better low deadkey or high deadkey, so I will just have to trust that with this particular amp the swing kit sounds good with it, BUT the fact still remains I am confused with the DK-swing when barefoot. .. No one seems to know which one will get farther, and sound better. Hell even willing to sacrifice a little sound to reach home farther. I know eventually I will need another 2 pill So thus why I Want to leave the cap/resistor that was in it already, but less then a watt deadkey and swinging to around 10 barefoot just seems a little low considering stock its usually 4w DK.. so I am trying to understand (without getting to technical) how it plays with and without and amp.. And everyone keeps going off track!

wow, where to start. using bare foot a radio with a low deadkey high swing will be much louder than one with a higher deadkey less swing.less swing=less modulation. so id use
the swing kit barefoot.
now with the amp yours it wont handle that much drive its NOT really a highdrive. 15-20
watts max swing and 1-2 watt deadkey is most you should put into that amp.which your
142 already does close to that so id leave it alone if using a amp.different amps require
different wattage input.depends on the transistor layout.think of a small glass of water
wont take much to fill it. now get a large cup same water but will take more to fill it
and once either cup is full thats it all other water is poured will spill out of cup. amps
are the same way they only handle so much.

Interesting topic for me. So going by the 1:4 ratio in modulation which I learned on here.

Question goes begging, what if the swing is not enough to make the amp swing to the 1:4 ratio? Example, radio swings from 4-16watts pep stock but this only results in the amp being driven and modulated to half its pep output. 1:2 . However adjusting the modulation on the radio to swing from 4-40W peps modulates the amp to swing to its full potential, with full I mean 100W pep per pill.

That amplifier only amplifies what it's fed, it doesn't change the percentage of modulation of the applied signal at all (or shouldn't. If it does, it means that the amplifier isn't doing what it's supposed to do). The 'modulating' is done by the radio feeding the amplifier a signal. Also, forget that 4 to 1 ratio if you are using a watt meter to do that 'modulation measuring'. The ratio would be 2 to 1. That 2:1 ratio is equal to 100% modulation. So, to keep things from over modulating the actual ratio should be 1.8:1 or 1.9:1. All things considered, as in there ain't no watt meter that sensitive, a 2:1 is what to shoot for.
Grief! Where'd this relic post come from?

A lot of CB amps aren't as linear as they should be, back in the day a lot of guys ran swing kits in their radios for the sole purpose of getting a 4:1 ratio out the back of their amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.