• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Debating on selling 2 radios and antenna tuner to buy 1 unit..

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
I am debating on selling my HF rig (Alinco DXSR-8T) which does up to 10m and another newer rig that is dual band 2m/70cm (Kenwood TM-v71a) and my 941e antenna tuner to buy one radio that does both/all.. I figure I may get like $825 for both rigs and antenna tuner...

Should I ?

I have a 35 amp power supply.. so I am good there.. I'm running an endfed antenna with 9:1 un-un. And a simple Comet 2x4SR antenna for the dual band radio.

I was entertaining the Yeasu 450d or Yeasu 891.. both units do HF/6m.. or Yaesu 857D.. although I heard good and bad on Yaesu quality..

Other suggestions??

They are two different things that I wouldn't want combined. If you are wanting to try 6m on a budget it would make sense, and you could always wait for a good deal on a vhf/uhf later if needed.

I wouldn't want them combined either. Even a lesser cost or older dual band rig is okay with me. I don't use it much in the shack anyway. I used to listen to our DX club repeater for info about what was going on with DXing but with spotting these days it is pretty quiet.
I would prefer to have a better rig than the Alinco in any event and think that most upgrades from it is worthwhile. Given the opportunity, a more full sized HF rig is always more pleasant to operate even if it is a somewhat older model to be more affordable. Less menus to dig through, larger and not as close together knobs and buttons, better or larger display etc., stuff like that make it more pleasant.

Better antennas are always the most important thing and can make the biggest difference. It is all about hearing stuff!! Antennas make all the difference.

That's the reason I initially did 2 separate rigs..

I'll just keep what I have for now.

If I didn't live in a mobile home in a community I would definitely have a better and higher antenna.

Thanks guys/gals..

If it were me.. I would probably sell the Alinco & tuner. Save up a few more bucks and get a better hf/6 rig of your choosing. Keep the v71a, that's a great vhf/uhf for monitoring those bands while playing on the other rig..

Reactions: fogdog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.