• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Decided on a Ranger 2995 DX!!!

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
Many people seem to like the Ranger 2970 DX, and so I decided on a Ranger 2995 DX as I will be operating indoors.

I would have gone with a Galaxy Saturn Turbo, but they don't make them any more, and you really don't know whose hands have been in them (when it comes to ordering them on ebay)!!

Any how, I wouldn't mind hearing from people who own the Ranger bases.

Thanks,
Snake Eyes

keep the power levels near stock, if you add to much power the factory supplys fail. otherthan that its the same 6db of white noise you will get with any of the rci cpu controled radios. personally i wouldnt buy one, i had the 2527 and the 2985dx and the only thing i liked more abour the 2985dx (2995dx) was the faster scaning it could do, a crystal mod in an older one would do that as well.

2995 is a great radio. My cousin has one ran a 700 watt with it and it was loud! Carl is right, you should keep the power to stock in order to keep the built in power supply inbalance with.

Have fun thier great on SSB, and the scan feature is much quiker than the older models.

Heard that, guys.

I think they've upgraded the power supplies as I've been reading all about that around the net.

Should be good to go there (hopefully)!!

Snake Eyes

Unit 194,

I seem to remember reading something about that in an older thread.

Well, all I can say is that I have yet to try it.

The power supply has been completely redesigned, according to Ranger.

So.... will see how this thing gets out!!

I got my fingers crossed!!!!!

73, Snake Eyes
(waving a hand)

its redesigned compared to the older 2527's. saturns and turbos. they had a very nasty habit of killing the voltage regulator and sending 26v threw the board peeling traces and toasting nearly every component on its way. ive bought a few radios that this happened to and had my first saturn turbo do it to me. this is why its common to see external power supplys used on these radios (and especially the excalabur's (sic)). i used to get a small 20 amp power supply throw it in the case and take a beat up 2950 throw it in place of the junk board and be on my merry way. there used to be tons of them on yahoo auctions before they closed down.

there redesigned but now there under powered for radios that use the built in amp - just like that 2995dx you want. like i said dont peak the power and you will be fine, were not lying to you just warning you.

Carl said:
its redesigned compared to the older 2527's. saturns and turbos. they had a very nasty habit of killing the voltage regulator and sending 26v threw the board peeling traces and toasting nearly every component on its way. ive bought a few radios that this happened to and had my first saturn turbo do it to me. this is why its common to see external power supplys used on these radios (and especially the excalabur's (sic)). i used to get a small 20 amp power supply throw it in the case and take a beat up 2950 throw it in place of the junk board and be on my merry way. there used to be tons of them on yahoo auctions before they closed down.

there redesigned but now there under powered for radios that use the built in amp - just like that 2995dx you want. like i said dont peak the power and you will be fine, were not lying to you just warning you.

I guess I've been pretty lucky with my Galaxy 2527 and my RCI 2990DX since I have had no problems with the factory power supply's.

Bob of Bob's CB fame said he can get it to do 185......is that too high, ya think?

Have heard good things about his work....

Snake Eyes

hes one of the only people i would allow to look at a dx if i couldnt. have him to the rejection correction to the radio when you get it, buy it from him and its free.

i honestly wouldnt go above stock by 10%-20%. the reason i say is that it takes twice the power to gain 3db. 1 s-unit in a radio is 6db. making a 100 watt radio do 185 watts will give you almost 1/2 s-unit. making a 6 s-unit signal a 6.5. is it worth it? you would need 400 watts to see a 7 s-unit signal.

this is whats frustrating about people tuning there stuff to the bleeding edge thinking it makes a difference. same with modulation, anything over 100% as you know make you sound muddy, distorted, and loud. most hf ops set there radios to not exceed 100% on there alc meter, is not going to be as loud as an overmodulated radio but it will be clean and much easier to hear.

if he goes 15% above stock, that's 180.

Someone told me let them pump it up inside the radio, and get a good power mic, and put that on a very low setting.

Thus, you are controlling the audio through the mic.....

What do most ppl do?

Thanks,
Snake Eyes

Mine rocks! No white noise at all with very strong receive and out standing side band performance. all ways used the stock mike on mine because a D-104 will pick up the fan that's inside the radio to keep it cool. Great choice!

graysonandradiopics002.jpg

That's sweet-looking King!! (waving)

I look forward to getting everything figured out, and getting that radio to my home as soon as possible.

It should be a good performer, and like I said, can't wait to get it.

73, Snake Eyes

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.