• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

defeating 3 minute time out on TM-V71a

KD4UPL

Aug 5, 2012
I've been considering a new Kenwood TM-V71a dual band mobile. I want a radio that performs well in cross-band repeat mode. This one seems to fill the bill except for one thing. It has a time out timer that shuts it down if it transmits continuously for 3 minutes. I've experienced this with a TS-2000 trying to monitor a net on a repeater with my HT. When net participants are quick on the trigger and the squelch tail never drops for 3 minutes the TS-2000 stops transmitting until it resets. This drives me crazy.
Kenwood says the TM-V71a time out timer can't be defeated. If that's the case I won't buy one. I'm hoping someone has found a way to defeat this feature.

Thanks,

Very few communications grade rigs have a transmitter that is rated for 100% duty cycle. That is a requirement for a real repeater and since most radios can't do it, they are given a time out timer or a thermal cutoff.

Thanks for your response. I do realize it's not a real repeater. However, I've been using my Icom 2340H for nearly 20 years in cross band repeat mode. I try to always set both bands on the 5 watt setting to keep it cool. I've never had any problem with it overheating so far during extended transmitting.
As far as I can understand Kenwood is the only manufacturer that has this feature.
I realize that transmitting continuously for hours would be detrimental. In many public service functions with an active net transmissions can go one for more than 3 minutes without a squelch tail break which creates a huge problem trying to use this radio.
I guess Kenwood is protecting themselves from what may possibly be a weaker final design than the others. I've never had good experiences with Kenwood but I like this radio so much (except for this feature) I might give them a shot again anyway.

KD4UPL,
Set the TOT for 10 minutes, and the output power to less than 50 watts and you should have no problems with that '71A. If nothing else, that 10 minutes is a good 'reminder'.
- 'Doc

10 minutes would certainly be fine. That's much more useable than 3 minutes. Are you sure it's that easy? I thought it was locked into 3 minutes in cross band repeat mode.
As I understand it what I'm asking would basically require a mod.: reprogramming, cutting a diode, etc. I was hoping someone had figured that out.
If it's as easy as changing the setting that would be great. Can someone with one of these radios please try that in cross band and let me know if it works?

Thanks,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated