• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dentron Clipperton L

314Audioman

Jan 29, 2023
NC
Does anyone have the schematic and or owners manual for the newer version of a Dentron Clipperton L, which has the tuned input circuits?

version of a Dentron Clipperton L, which has the tuned input circuits
Never have seen one of those. I remember the Clipperton for its lack of a center tap on the filament supply to the tubes. This would cause an annoying 60 Hz hum on your AM carrier. Sideband probably wasn't affected as much.

Any customer who wanted to use this model for AM got told it would need an artificial center tap added. fortunately there's room for a small 2-Amp 6-Volt transformer. It's a simple trick, you just tape off the new transformer's 120-Volt primary wires. We don't use them. The 6-volt winding gets connected to the tubes' filmant supply. The wire to the keying relay gets moved from its original spot to the center tap wire of the new transformer.

Yeah, kinda lame. But just where would you put a band switched set of input circuits? Not seeing how anyone did that right off the bat.

Found a JPG of the input circuit:
Dentron Clippertom L input.jpg

Reactions: BJ radionut
@nomadradio , here is where they squeezed it in:
Dentron Clippertom L input2.jpg
Dentron Clippertom L input2.jpg
As you can see the amp comes with no relay or tuned circuit for 10 meters but it does come with the info (via the schematic) of what values to use.

Last edited:

Attachments

• SAM_2041.JPG
    SAM_2041.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 68
  • SAM_2051.JPG
    SAM_2051.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 58
  • SAM_2065.JPG
    SAM_2065.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 64
  • SAM_2066.JPG
    SAM_2066.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 59
  • SAM_2070.JPG
    SAM_2070.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 60
  • SAM_2071.JPG
    SAM_2071.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
  • SAM_2072.JPG
    SAM_2072.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 58
I feel like I saw this on another amplifier one time. I remember seeing a schematic where they used two chokes one to each side of the cathode and they were tied together and the b minus attached to that. Wouldn't that kind of be the same thing as a center tap on the transformer?

@314Audioman Good eye. I had a pair of 15" Mohawks in my car in 1992. Powered them with a modified Unic RV-3003 that I re-wrapped the secondary of the switching toroid for 11 more += volts on the rails while also beefing up the rail caps. It actually reached the advertised 300 watts mono after the mod. Bumped pretty good.

Reactions: 314Audioman
I've worked on a few dozen Clippertons over the years and never seen one like that. You have a rare one. Most have been untuned and 3 had that board in my previous post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 314Audioman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.