• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dentron GLA-1000b Restore

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
Not homebrew but restoring a GLA-1000b.
What I am hoping is that someone has one of these on the shelf that can take some pictures of.

It appears that someone thought they could use a different tube in it and never finished the job. My attempt is to restore back to original since I have some 6LQ6 tubes in the shack.

I cleaned up a bunch of solder joints and installed a set of tubes. The diodes in the supply when boom. Looking at the tube board I see that originally (maybe factory) pin 2, 3 and 6 was alltied together with trace. Pin 3 (cathode) has been cut and isolated. Do not know if this is how dentron did it at one time. As you can see in this pic the cathodes are all tied together with hook up wire. A pic of someone else would come in handy here for there is other components I dod not see on this schematic.
attachment.php

Next is the power supply board. It is in the worst mess. All the rectifiers was removed from the board along with the 0.01 caps. A terminal strip was layed in and the rectifiers was installed on it. I am going to rebuild the board back to original so again some top and bottom pics for clarity would come in handy.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The amp has the tuned input board in it all ready. But there are a few wires removed so a pic would also be handy.
attachment.php

I like to see this old thing up and running again. Then I may do a complete rebuild with Far electronic circuit boards and then maybe a Russian tube swap. These were fairly decent desk top amps back in the day.

When I first got it there was a swith on the side for power. Someone blowed out the original swith on the back of the funtion switch. The funtion switch does it all on this amp. When they blew the power switch it also took out the meter movement. I am still looking for a meter. What happened was they installed metal can caps that were to large and one touched the switch wire. I was able to fabricate a new switch and get that part working like the original design.
attachment.php

So I am loading up with projects for the winter.

:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

That's gonna be you if you mess with "Restoring" that amp, from the pictures it seems to have been "modified with extreme prejudice"; there is not much hope for getting that thing back to "factory".

And if you did, what would you have but a sweep tube amp that is good for 1000 watts input, 600 watts out (maybe).

Go here and see what others have done with the same amp. You might be able to find some close-up pictures there. Also, go to http://gi7b.com/ for some more ideas.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. But I do it for the fun of it. Believe it or not I have both of those links printed out. I been searching for months.

Yeah it is an old amp and oly 5 to 6 hundred out. But I like a good chalenge from time to time and have had worste. It is a thrill. And have no problems rolling my own circuit boards if needed.
I do like the way the GI-7B conversion looks though. But I going to get the glass glowing then I will think about it. Another project on the burner is a MLA-2500. Got most the parts in for the conversion.

An Update.
All mods have been removed and the amp is back to it's original condition.

Got the HV and LV power supply rebuilt. Took out all the garbage that was installed.

Just by doing that the amp is putting out 35 watts on 40 meters! Not resonant in it's current condition.
Got to work on the bias supply next and then on to the band switch network.

The bias diode checks good so that is a plus.
On the cut circuit traces the fix for that was easy. I have some very thin sheet tin. It is like a very heavy foil. I just cut the size I needed and glued it to the board. Then solder the trace in. Can not even tell it was cut.

More updates to come.

Wow, sounds like you're making good progress. Show us some "after" pics when you're ready so we can compare to the "before" pics you already posted :)

None as of yet. Working a lot of OT at the plant this week and last week. Plus a lot of repairs in the shop. Got to take care of the customers.

Plus the two Yaesu FT-101's got in the way. :D
Will get back on this by the end of next week.
Thanks for asking.

Got a little time yesterday to get back on this project. Got the band switch straighten out and the input now works correctly. VSWR was high on each band do to someone soldering jumpers on the back side of the input tune board..

Hopefully I will fire this back up by the week end and test it out. Now that I have to unit back to original design it is time to start updating it. First will start with a home brew power supply board. Will have 6 capacitors instead of 3. Also will contain the meter circuit components.

Looking for a way to change out the old blown meter to a newer design.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.