• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Desoldering pl-259 easily

I always use respect in my post. I have to restrain from offense. I love to see peoples ingenuity. I love to see the reaction to certain posts. It's all good. Wow what a good iron, flux, and solder wick can do with soldering skills. God bless you all.

I sometimes channel Sam during difficult repairs.

giphy.gif

LC
I sometimes channel Sam during difficult conversations with Customer service...

I cut the wire leave a little bit of on then remove the jacket now wires are bare,put connector on vice use small aligator clip on the bare end heat up other end and pull the aligator clip pulls out clean , as for the braid I use desolderig gun.

Reactions: Tokin
Google "solder sucker". That'll bring up a variety of tools you can use. The first one I ever used in a Navy Calibration Facility had a piston you had to press down until it clicked, and hold the Teflon tip against the joint. Then heat the joint until the solder flowed, press the button on the sucker AND DON'T FORGET NOT TO AIM IT AT YOUR EYES! This resulted in a clean job, and techs back then had the sense to aim the piston away from danger.

Google "solder sucker". That'll bring up a variety of tools you can use. The first one I ever used in a Navy Calibration Facility had a piston you had to press down until it clicked, and hold the Teflon tip against the joint. Then heat the joint until the solder flowed, press the button on the sucker AND DON'T FORGET NOT TO AIM IT AT YOUR EYES! This resulted in a clean job, and techs back then had the sense to aim the piston away from danger.

I have one of those around here somewhere. It is blue with a black button and white teflon tip. Works decent. I also have an old desolder bulb from Radio Shack here somewhere too. It worked quite well. I actually like it better than the piston type as you can "reset" it much faster.

I've not had much success using a plunger type solder sucker on coax, it seems there is always plenty of internal solder to hold the braid in there. Maybe I'm just not fast enough, or dont like cooking them too long. I dunno

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.