• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Desoldering pl-259 easily

Heres what i use for desoldering.
Its an old canister vacuum with a homemade fitting, hose and teflon tip.
I find the key is to desolder one hole then cool the fitting before going to the next. It takes a lot of time and doesnt always work. A good hot iron is a must.
Personally i dont solder the braid anymore. I see no need to. On my rg213 i fold the braid back over the jacket and screw the pl259 on then trim the braid and solder the tip. Not much different than crimp fittings which is what is being used more and more.
20200819_125124_HDR.jpg 20200819_125129_HDR.jpg 20200819_125137_HDR.jpg 20200819_125149_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Eldorado828
What is the teflon tip and handle from?
So unfortunately this was a tool that was smuggled from a job many years ago. It was part of an "in house" desoldering line nothing store bought so you'll have to build your own. Apparently my roomie liked the tool so much he had to bring one home. The handle has a spring and a felt filter to catch flux and solder. He has never seen another one like it.

You might be able to convert a crappy desoldering pen and put a hose and vac adaper on it. Another possible handle is a marks a lot marker body. Gotta get creative.

I remove the braid & center conductor, tape over holes because my lungs don't have the cfm & pressure of a blower gun,
add some more solder inside pin & blow the molten solder out.

Reactions: 144inBama and Tokin
Wow this has just blown me away. I am impressed with the ingenuity I just witnessed, I may bring some of these ideas to my work. Screw the the high vacuum solder suckers I use. Give me a small torch and an air gun! BRILLANT. Good stuff guys.

On a lighter (and cheaper) note, y’all are doing it all wrong...especially the married guys here...

1) a woman has enough lung capacity to blow that solder out - without the heat.

2) if yours is like mine, she makes you so mad you’re filled with the fury of 1,000 hells and all you have to do is grasp the fitting tightly and the solder runs out.

Oh, I’m the only one with that 1000 hell anger... alright then.

I sometimes channel Sam during difficult repairs.

giphy.gif

LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated