1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Devil's advocate

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by kopcicle, Dec 6, 2018.

1. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

Devil's advocate

"If" a transmitter is operated within class D citizens band space (26.960-27.410 MHz) in a "legal" manner there is no reasonable suspicion or probable cause to suspect that the transmitter is not "Class D Type accepted". This implies 4 watts AM (disputed, I'm aware) and 12 watts SSB, channelized, receive only fine tuning, etc.

The temptation is to exceed these these limitations and in some cases by orders of magnitude in power, transmission out of the 26.960-27.410 MHz band space, transmission on the "alpha" frequencies, and transmitting between channels (on the zeros).

I have been approached by (I hope) well meaning amateurs that have insisted that at the least a CB radio in my shack places my license in jeopardy, having amplifiers in my shack capable of 11m amplification makes them illegal because I have 11m radios in the shack a fine point but ...) , my extensively modified "CB" radios modified to 10m use are no longer type accepted and illegally modified (grandfathered first phone) , "once a bootlegger always a bootlegger" - degenerates into unfounded accusations, attacks on the validity of my license. calls for retesting, personal insults, and active jamming.

All because I identified my 10m rig as a Realistic TRC-458
    (remind me not to do that again)
    Note: my radio received glowing signal reports until I identified it as a "CB". Following this I've refrained from using the radio but my call has been permanently associated with use of a "CB" on 10m by a select few . This results in my TS-830S sounding like crap because it's identified by way of my call sign as a "CB" .

Now all of this is really odd because I was tested by a liaison and group of VE's that knew my past 11m history. I was offered congratulations and "it's about time" . Not one even joked about my implied or actual transgressions from decades previous.

What has all this got to do with Siltronix? It's my current 10m radio and still gets identified as a "Rat Shack piece of crap" . If you enjoy constantly working on a radio have fun with the 1011;)

S&W357 and midnight special like this.

2. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Well-Known Member

I had one talking trash about my baofeng. A few months later I borrowed his fancy kenwood ht, and he raved on and on about how much better I sounded. He was pissed for months when I sent him the video of us talking, and yes, I was on the baofeng.

3. S&W357

S&W357 Old Codger Member

Yes, Rat Shack piece of crap. At least mine is these days...out of commission.

[​IMG]

357magnum likes this.
  4. 357magnum

357magnum Well-Known Member

I wish I had the radio " Know How" I have now . I've stated in the past I had a " Silly " back in my early 20's and found it was too much radio for me then and replaced it w/ a Johnson "White Face" now @ 65 and more knowledgeable I wish I still had it . The dumb things " Kids " do !:LOL:

kopcicle likes this.
  5. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

runs in cycles nothing on evilbay then a dozen under $200

357magnum likes this.
  6. oldtymer

oldtymer Member

Other than being a little drifty & at times hard to get the bias set they were a pretty good
    radio.
    I had one with the matching Swan 1200 amp. My neighbors were not too happy when
    I was on the air,nobody had cable back then & any tv in a two block radius was fair game.:eek:

7. 357magnum

357magnum Well-Known Member

oldtymer , That neighbor problem & no cable TV was one of my problems also my home then was in a tightly pack water front community . I soon learned they had no patience when the Super Bowl was on TV !:LOL:

TheRATT likes this.