1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Dialing in new Nikon Prostaff Scope . . .

Discussion in 'Prepper Forum' started by Robb, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Robb

Robb Yup

Hey Larry!

Its my Dad's sported Springfield '03 that came with a Leupold 2.5x scope.

I bought a laser bore sighting kit, and while digging through my Dad's gun stuff (he had a bunch) last night, I also found a Bushnell Bore Sighting kit - too (model 74-3333) as shown below. I am going to check the laser bore sight kit against the Bushnell kit and see if they are consistent - just for $#!+$ 'n giggles:

Bushnell.jpg

#16 Robb, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

2. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

Ha..I have one just like that Robb - haven't used it in 15 yrs, not accurate enough for me. I also have a $150 laser sighter, but haven't used it in about 6 years. You will probably find the laser will be more accurate.
    Remember, when using the laser, besure and get the bore cleaned good, or it might throw the beam off.

One more thing, if you find that the Leupold may not be working good, such as the adjustments not adjusting right or anything else that might be wrong with it, then ship it up to Beaverton just north of you and they will repair it free of charge!

3. Robb

Robb Yup

I took off that Leupold and put on a Nikon scope with a 40mm objective and a 25mm ocular.
    3-9x40mm Prostaff.
    nikon-prostaff-3-9x40mm-riflescope.jpg

The optical clarity and lack of color aberrations make it a very fine scope.

The bore is very clean now. For a while I thought that it had too much copper fouling in it to trust. But after a great deal of brush scrubbing with "2 in 1 Bore Scrubber" from Birchwood/Casey, it came quite clean. Normally I wouldn't buy their products, especially their bluing products; but this stuff worked very well. Contains some ammonia to dissolve the copper - and by default - some lead too. Followed that with some "Break Free" and then finally some Hoppes No.9 until the patches came out with nary a spec.

The barrel and receiver are spec'd for match ammo, so the closest thing I can find close to those same specs is the Federal 2700fps/180gr rounds. The rifle was originally a USMC sniper rifle used in the war in the Pacific and was tested/OKed by Springfield for the hotter rounds, which were 2700fps/173gr rounds.

Had to also put a "LimbSaver Recoil Pad" on it so that the recoil wouldn't inflame my bursitis. Also added a "Blackhawk" 9-13" bipod. Think it is high time to replace the springs (spring kit) in that Springfield, since its vintage is 1938. Trigger is still OK; but I want to make sure it keeps on firing properly with a new spring for the bolt/firing pin.

#18 Robb, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  4. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the Nikon scope Robb, it should serve you well.

There have been quite a few company's coming on board making scopes now in the last 12 yrs. In the picture below is one that I put on my 25 cal. air rifle, although it is made in China (which it's the first non USA scope for me) it is clear and works just fine for what I need - just $190 for a 4x12 AO.

DSC_0015.JPG

I have used several of the Birchwood/Casey products over the years and some of them have worked very good for me - Their spray cleaner and True Oil I really like.

If you are looking for some of the really good bore cleaner products, then let me know, for I have searched many of them over the years to find the good ones.

#19 DXman, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Robb likes this.
  5. old goat 321

old goat 321 Well-Known Member

I was real lucky last Christmas when i won a Thomson Center 30.06. It came with a Barska 3x9 scope. It took 6 shots to zero it in at 100 yds. 20180110_140419.jpg Its been in the safe since.

6. GTA61

GTA61 Member

Get the Nikon app Spo On