• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dialing in new Nikon Prostaff Scope . . .

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
I was going to use a simple laser pointer in the chamber of the 03/M2 Springfield rifle. Can't be much worse than using one of the cheap lights that get terrible revues, so I thought I would improvise.

Any tips on how you like to dial in your scopes that are cheap, easy, and efficient other than just throwing rounds down the range?

Got a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and will also have to get some new Weaver high rings to get it mounted on this vintage Springfield that kicks like an injured mule . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum

Support your rifle with sand bags or whatever. Remove the bolt and gaze down the barrel at an appropriate target, then move the cross hairs to the same image. Cheap method of bore-sighting, but it works and usually gets you close enough to where you'll just need a handful of rounds to finish the job.

Last edited:
That's a nice scope. I have one on my slug gun.

A laser boresight isn't too expensive or you can have a gunsmith do it. It's going to be hard to center a simple laser pointer.

If your rifle has a removable bolt you can clamp it down and adjust the scope until you get the cross hairs centered with what you see looking down the barrel. That will get you on paper.

Then set up some sand bags and make the final adjustments. You can use a pad between your shoulder and the stock if needed. I would not fire a high power rifle from a vice because the recoil can crack the stock. Especially an old one made of wood.

The manual that came with the scope will tell you how many clicks = x amount of inches at x yards. How you hold the rifle and how it recoils in your hands has an effect on the point of impact. There's another count against the vice.

An experienced person with a spotting scope sitting next to you will help you get it done without wasting too many rounds. Some ranges will help you out with this.

Reactions: 222DBFL
No, I won't put it in a vise.

I've repaired a few guns; but never had to replace an old scope. It came with a old 2.5x Leupold, but it is very old and I need something that had a bigger diopter and ocular end. The Nikon quality optics and the price made my choice simple to me.

Figure that this scope should be fairly accurate out to 300 yards, pretty much the point of the flattest trajectory of the 30-06 has to offer. It is an effective range to bag a deer, so long as they don't catch on to my stink before I see them.

I dunno if any of you have seen these one shot laser bore lights that don't last long and frankly aren't built to last:

51iUqebnweL._SL1000_.jpg

The reviews of these things are kinda poor, so thought there was a better way to accomplish the same thing. Such as mounting a bright diode (a 5w diode; a diode throws off uni-directional light anyway - much like a laser diode does) in a spent cartridge and run the battery leads out of the primer hole once it has been removed and drilled out. Anyone tried that yet?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumex/SML-LXL99MWC-TR-5/?qs=3CoS%2bH7HGL1i08rmOgCobQ==&gclid=CJm315K4t8oCFdgGgQodMKAEsQ

Lumex-2w_3w_5w-HPleds_hr (1).jpg

Last edited:
I would do what Mudfoot has suggested. This is the easiest and best method as you also get comfortable with shooting the gun as well especially if it kicks hard. This is when experience pays off as you don't have the fear of anticipating the recoil and having your shots be off!! Take your time putting the scope on as well. Nikon makes some very nice optics and have for a long time. Have fun and wear a thick coat or whatever yoi normally would hunt in when shooting the gun as well so you know exactly what to expect for recoil. JMHO.

The boresight I have is a tapered cylinder that goes into the end of the barrel with adapters for .22 to 50cal. I don't know anyone that uses the laser cartridges. The bright light in a spent cartrage won't do much for you. The easiest way is looking down the barrel. The only reason I bought the boresight was for rifles without a removable bolt.

Reactions: S&W357 and Tallman
For rifles without a bolt, take a small mirror and place it in the chamber. This will allow you to gander down the bore to line up on a target.

Just look up the trajectory figures for the round your using. You can usually zero a rifle at 25 or 50 yards. Just account for bullet rise at the longer distances.

Take a look at Mueller scopes. I have a Nikon rimfire scope that's pretty darn nice.

Reactions: Robb
Thanks for all of the replies.

Guess I'm gonna just get the kit that Klondike Mike posted.
Its off to wally world; they have them.

Was hoping that I didn't have to go there to get it done. The upside is that kit works for several different calibers. And I do have other rifles that need to be checked and sighted before I kick the crap out of my shoulder again. Don't need to aggravate shoulder bursitis; that is no fun.

Once I get this kit, people around here will not only ask me to fix their guns, but sight in their scopes - too.
But, that is OK . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
I have the Bushnell version of that laser bore sighter. Be sure to study the ballistics of the ammunition you are shooting and calculate where the Zero for your scope should be.
I use the bore sighter and then two rounds down range and it is good to go. Shoot from a lead sled if you can. Most rifle ranges have one to rent out.

Reactions: Robb
Robb,
You didn't mention what rifle you were sighting in - Auto or Bolt.

If it's for a bolt, then it's very easy to do without buying a laser sight and it only takes a distance of 25 yards to sight it in.

I have bore sighted many, many, and many of rifles in the last 35 yrs. Here is what you need:
Get a good rifle craddle to start with (maybe you already have one), set a target up at 25 yrds with a 1/2" or 3/4" dot and look down the bore. Then place the center of the bore on the dot, then carefully adjust your scope until crosshair is on center with the dot.

After you have done this several times, then walk away from it for a minute or two then sit back down and recheck.
After a few times you will get good enough that when you fire your rifle @ 100 yds it should only take you a maxium of 3 shots to be 1" high @ 100 yds.*

*I can usually have most rifles zeroed with just 3 shots.

One other thing that you should do before you mount your scope, go onto Youtube and look for video's on how to "lap scope rings". This is important in obtaining a good fit with scope and rings....

There is also another important thing that can be done that will really help in getting good accuracy.....but that is for another time.

Ok - sorry you did mention what the rifle was......my bad!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated