• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

did an antenna comparison now i feel stupid

well everyone' just to let ya'll know that you talked me into stopping and buying one of these r/s antennas tonight. this weekend when i get a chance i'll attach it to my magnet mount and tune it. if i can get a respectable swr then i'll decide if i want to leave it magnet mounted or drill a hole and permantely mount it to the roof of my pick-up. at almost 6 feet tall it should make my truck look like a remote control toy truck. lol

it looks just like the pro comm only longer. I was just simply dumb founded that from 2 miles away neither my eyes looking at the meter or my ears could tell the difference between this 20 dollar antenna and my 100 dollar antenna. maybe the difference between the 2 might show up at say 8 to maybe 10 miles if our small radios will talk that far.

well ya answered ya own question. you need to have 1 on a base station and drive away from them till they can just barely hear ya .then swap. then if theres a difference you will see it.8-10 miles should be easy over fairly flat land. id test around 20 miles

Reactions: evken
well ya answered ya own question. you need to have 1 on a base station and drive away from them till they can just barely hear ya .then swap. then if theres a difference you will see it.8-10 miles should be easy over fairly flat land. id test around 20 miles

that was pretty much how i was going to do my test. there is a section of straight with nothing on it highway not far from me. i am going to stop at a mile marker and let my son drive on talking to me on the r/s antenna. when i can no longer hear him i'll call him on the phone and have him swap antennas. and hook up the 5000 and see if i can hear him then. this should tell me if there is much difference using just a stock radio. I mean in the end that is all that matters' because once you can't hear the other party the conversation is over.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.