• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

did an antenna comparison now i feel stupid

I think Radio Shack calls it a All terrain antenna, and you can also find them under the "half breed antenna"

Procomm JBC1300 3 Foot Base Loaded Quarterwave CB Antenna

Astatic 500 Halfbreed CB 3-Foot Antenna Review

Procomm Half Breed CB Antenna - 3 Lengths - jbc1300-1500

RadioShack Stainless Steel Mobile CB Antenna : CB Radio Antennas | RadioShack.com

I have run a Texas star 350 on the Pro Comm version shortened for Ten Meters with no problems in the past on a 5 inch Mag mount.
It is just a little 7 or 8 inch or so Fiberglass bottom load with a Stainless steel stinger...as I said, they are OK for what they are and tough if you are beating around in the brush on a pickup or 4x4

Jeff

it looks just like the pro comm only longer. I was just simply dumb founded that from 2 miles away neither my eyes looking at the meter or my ears could tell the difference between this 20 dollar antenna and my 100 dollar antenna. maybe the difference between the 2 might show up at say 8 to maybe 10 miles if our small radios will talk that far.

Simple explanation of why you see virtually no difference is because the antennas are virtually the same.Similar antennas, similar results. The price difference is likely due to quantity purchasing, quality of materials put into the antenna (purity of copper in the coil and quality of stainless in the whip), as well as just plain marketing hype and mark up. I mean, a much more expensive antenna just HAS to work better doesn't it? :unsure:

well i would have thought so' but my little informal test last night didn't bear this out. i mean we always hear that you get what you pay for. and a good antenna is the most important part of a cb radio. i'm determined to do some more testing next weekend' but right now i'm still scratching my head.

Not trying to insult anyone but these antennas are nearly the same in 'electrical' performance.
Why would you expect any difference in signal over the same path?
For there to be a difference, the following parameters would have to be different.
1. The length, affecting radiation efficiency.
2. Radiation angle.
3. The coil loss.
4. Antenns gain.
5. The mounting position.
Trying to expalain it with words and hearing instead of on a technical basis does not answer anything about performance.
The go a bit deeper using signal strength terms called DB, you cannot tell much of a difference between a reference signal and one 3 DB stronger and one 3DB weaker to normal ear. By the way a 3DB difference is a change in power by 50% up or down from the reference power.
Said another way 4 watts into the antenna as a reference power then 3DB less is 2 watts. 3DB higher is 6 watts.
The receiving radio S meter may just show a small amount of change either way with a signal change of 3DB up or down.
The reason is the Radio's AGC takes up the extra power by reducing receiver gain or increases the receiver gain on less power.
The net result of this on the receiving S meter is very little difference.
Only difference in the two antennas is who made it, it's quality and what it was sold for.
Hope this help you see it differently.
Good luck.

KM3F,
Right idea about 'dB' but wrong amounts. 3dB is a factor of 2, 2X or X/2. An easy way of making dB numbers understandable is to divide the dB gain by 3 dB. That's how many times you have to double the number in question. A 9 dB increase would be doubling the number 3 times. So, if you start with 4 watts, then double it, it's 8 watts, double it again and it's 16 watts, and the third doubling makes it 32 watts. 32 watts is a 9 dB increase from 4 watts. Same in the other direction except divide by two for each 3 dB, so a 9 dB decrease from 4 watts would give you 0.5 watts. It's a mathematical or logarithmic function, not an arithmetical function.
That's a very 'shade tree'/'redneck' explanation, not exact at all since 3 dB doesn't equal exactly twice or half. It's a 'short-cut' way of figuring it and close enough though in most cases.
- 'Doc

(I'm not picking on you, really!)

The whip portion of this radio shack antenna will work good on the wilson 5k for 10 meters. I bought one a couple months ago and am using it for that purpose without having to trim it at all.

well i'm still going to do one more test this weekend just to try to answer one question i have. but after reading these answers' it almost sounds like this radio shack antenna might be the buy of the week for what it costs vs, the performance it gives.

well i'm still going to do one more test this weekend just to try to answer one question i have. but after reading these answers' it almost sounds like this radio shack antenna might be the buy of the week for what it costs vs, the performance it gives.

No secret or surprise 'round these parts, a lot of the SSB guys run them and I've twice compared my 5000 mag mount and seen either no difference or the R/S won.

On 11m the most efficient coil diameter is supposed to be around 1" diameter, the Wilson being a bit larger in order to handle higher power without arcing. So overall, at ~200w or less the R/S would definitely be the best buy, especially if you already have a 3/8 x 24T (magnet) mount.

well i would have thought so' but my little informal test last night didn't bear this out. i mean we always hear that you get what you pay for. and a good antenna is the most important part of a cb radio. i'm determined to do some more testing next weekend' but right now i'm still scratching my head.

If only that were true will all things in life...........if only that were true. :cry:

Reactions: 1 person
No secret or surprise 'round these parts, a lot of the SSB guys run them and I've twice compared my 5000 mag mount and seen either no difference or the R/S won.

On 11m the most efficient coil diameter is supposed to be around 1" diameter, the Wilson being a bit larger in order to handle higher power without arcing. So overall, at ~200w or less the R/S would definitely be the best buy, especially if you already have a 3/8 x 24T (magnet) mount.

I guess what i've come to realize from this shade tree test and reading replies like yours is that' basically with a bare foot radio as long as you get an antenna that is close to identical in length and build as this r/s and 5000 are you are not going to see much differance in performance.

can someone smarter than me help justify the extra cost. thanks in advance.

probably not.

i would be very surprised if anyone could justify the cost on performance, many will rightly claim better build quality, but the reality is many cheap cb antennas last for years too, some will claim better power handling, but the reality is do you really need extreme power handling on 11m when the world is easily workable on 100w or less in decent skip conditions.

nothing can escape the fact the humble full 1/4 wave whip is THE best mobile cb antenna there is, was and for the forseeable future, will be. they literally cost pennies, outperform everything (albeit fractionally compared to some of the better shortened antennas), there are a few cheap shortened antennas that give adequate to excellent performance, here in the uk the wallen modulator was a classic example, in the states you had bullwhips,half breeds etc. i would happily and confidently use any of them for worldwide dx under 300w.

there's more bullshit spouted about expensive cb antennas than any other part of the hobby, but they all have three things in common, seriously over hyped, over priced and over rated.

Reactions: 1 person
I have two of them. I've made numerous contacts with them.
Modified for center load:

6220.jpg

W5LZ, Your right I messed up on the gain DB.
From a reference of 4 watts,
3DB down is 2 watts.
3DB up is 8 watts.
Thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.