• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dielectric Grease

Yes the grease was meant for the O-rings and Andrew was very explicit about not getting any on the center pin. 1/2 inch cable is not too hard to work with but the 1 5/8 and 3 inch stuff can benefit from a little grease to help the O-ring seat in place. Not many folks here are running that stuff however. LOL My comment about using it on only the threads comes from other manufacturers that state that it is acceptable and in some cases advisable to use it on the external male threads of the antenna connector to help prevent corrosion of the threads if moisture should get in and then make it impossible to remove the connector thus ruining the antenna.

Reactions: 222DBFL
CKW & 22DB -

Thanks for the comeback. Obviously Andrew knows more about this than I do too. Looks like I have to find another way to keep the water out.

I use a tiny, and I mean TINY , amount of the grease on the threaded portion of the connector and then use a couple layers of self amalgamating butyl rubber tape. I believe there is a commercial product called Coax Seal that is the same however I buy mine at the hardware store in the plumbing section or at the electrical suppliers.It fuses to itself and forms a complete piece of rubber. I then follow that up with a couple layers of GOOD electrical tape for UV protection. I use Scotch 33+ or Scotch 88. I used to use just electrical tape and then lots of silicone rubber sealant but that is messy and although I have had connections last a decade or two I am favouring the butyl rubber tape now.

http://www.radioworks.com/ccoaxseal.html

Reactions: 222DBFL
Same exact way I do my weather proofing, and yes I do love the self amalgamating tape myself. Works great and is way less messier than butyl wrap!! And the same goes for the tape.
The ease of not having the self amalgamating tape stick to your connectors is awesome! Only sticks to itself and it will handle some heat and harsh environments as well!!
And I can totally understand the choice to place a bit of grease on the outer threads of larger coax or even the smaller stuff as long as it's used very lightly and handled properly as to not get any on that center pin!! Anyhow. Have a good one to all. Hope some of this info helped!!

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned