• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Difference between ham amps and cb amps

Oh, I do agree!
But there are also some minimums that should be in any/all of those self-set standards. If there are no minimums, then what's the point?
- 'Doc

I'm almost certain this break in harmonic interference is only temporary and will be back to haunt us soon. The FCC didn't vacate most VHF low band TV frequencies for nothing. They couldn't wait to sell it off to new over the air services that won't be sent via closed loop cable TV. Once these frequencies are reallocated there will be all types of new services that will be happy to receive harmonic interference all over again.

I can't wait.....

I'm almost certain this break in harmonic interference is only temporary and will be back to haunt us soon. The FCC didn't vacate most VHF low band TV frequencies for nothing. They couldn't wait to sell it off to new over the air services that won't be sent via closed loop cable TV. Once these frequencies are reallocated there will be all types of new services that will be happy to receive harmonic interference all over again. Oh...and the fastest way to make a popular CB amp into a ham amp is to jack the tube out of the socket and slide a real amp under it.

The low VHF TV frequencies have not been vacated.

There are a few low V DTV stations still using that spectrum.

Channel 51 and up were vacated and sold.

If the harmonic situation returns it will have a much different flavor. The stuff will probably just quit working with little or no indication of why.

HiDef,that is pretty easy....

Step 1 ....find the nearest trash can and carefully place the CB amp into it .. then set trash can out for the garbage truck to pick up in the morning :tongue: :whistle:

Step 2 ..... Start looking at Amateur amps and find one that works for you

While that sounds all proper and good the problem is the ham lands up learning NOTHING about electronics in your process.

Part 97 stipulates amateur radio's very existance is to provide a technically qualified pool of operators among other things:)

The low VHF TV frequencies have not been vacated.

There are a few low V DTV stations still using that spectrum.

Channel 51 and up were vacated and sold.

If the harmonic situation returns it will have a much different flavor. The stuff will probably just quit working with little or no indication of why.

Some investigating shows your are right about the reallocation of the upper UHF channels Hi Def. They have however, removed a majority of broadcasters off of channels 2 through 6 VHF low band. Although it's not always easy to tell with the new "virtual channel map". I've heard this move is because the digital transmission does not propagate well on lower frequencies. Probably due to phase shifting.

From what I've read less then 10% of US locations still have a VHF TV station broadcasting between 2 and 6. The 10% that do, usually use channel 6. Several respectable TV antenna manufacturers like Windgaurd have released new VHF/UHF outdoor antennas missing the longest low band elements.

At the very least, it seems like the use of TV VHF lowband for digital TV broadcast is uncertain in the future. It kind of leaves the door open to a future auction of that spectrum based upon the recent acts of our FCC. While the spectrum may not be ideal for wide band digital video broadcast I bet it handles narrow band digital formats easily.

Ok ..I know I was being a smart ass when I done the post about the garbage can ....but figuring what it would take to get a CB type amp swapped over for ham band use sounds interesting to say the least

I will start with this question.....are we talking about a tube driven or solid state?...and what type of tube(s) would we be working with if tube type is chosen

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.