• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipole around 90 deg corner?

SLR_65

Dec 27, 2014
Hi Guys,

I'm putting a dipole up for my shack, it'll be under the eaves of the house. I plan on orientating it east/west, however north/south may be nice occasionally. I'm considering two dipoles and a switch, but then it occurred to me that maybe I could put it near the corner of the house and fold one leg around the corner.

Would that work to give a move omni directional antenna?

If the house is stucco you'll have a lot of problems with the chicken wire mesh screen. It'll detune whatever you put up within a wavelength or so.

It's not really a "V Beam", either. Those have sides 4-5 wavelengths long and a narrower vertex angle. And they're up a lot higher. Think "half-rhombic".

A 90 degree vertex angle is really too small; 120 degrees is about as narrow as I would want. Narrower = phase cancellation. YMMV.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Hello,

Besides the effect of the house a low placed dipole in a 90 degree angle placed horizontal will have a pattern that could still be considered "bi-directional".
With that said...when placed below halve a wavelength, on the sides the "directional effort" will probarbly not reach the 1 S unit difference.
And above that height it just barely will.

You would also have to bare in mind the the take off angle.
As a low placed dipole will have its main focus upwards, it will still "copy" at low angle but going from say quater wave length to a full wave length in height will provide at least one but most likely more S-units gain at long distance.

Hope it is of use kind regards,

H.

Thanks guys, I just may give it a shot to see what it does.

In my youth I ran a dipole under the eaves of a single story house and it was still directional.

My thoughts were that it would work - it's basically an inverted V placed horizontally.

I'll report back after I experiment a bit.

...In my youth I ran a dipole under the eaves of a single story house and it was still directional....

I dunno about that, perhaps the Tx/Rx off the ends was so poor that it just seemed that the antenna had gain off the broadside.

good luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.