• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DIPOLE GONE WRONG, PLEASE HELP

I'm quite surprised that this really hasn't been addressed yet... You've got those power lines RIGHT THERE. Is there ANY possibly way to get your antenna on any other side of the house?

In an old location of mine, the end of a dipole was about 20 feet away from where the power came into the house (no possibly chance of the two making contact) and I'd have a hell of a time RX'ing anything!

I'd go with the suggestion of going somewhere else with your rig and just trying it out. Have to admit -- I haven't read this entire thread. Just started on page three, then started searching for "power". So, if you've already tried this -- that's why I'm repeating the suggestion.

--Alex

Question to everyone,

If he was able to put the apex of the dipole on the chimney and get the wires out in the open more, would that help?

Seems it might be a good time for you to study antenna basics.

Do not forget to also study transmission lines I.E. Coax/ladder line etc.etc.

This thread has given you a lot of ideas and information. Now it is up to you to decide what to build/ buy and install.

Update

So i took the verticle idea given here and was speaking with another old time ham about this

He told me back in the day on 10 everyone used an antron 99 and it was "sexy" lol

I started thinking and looked up the thing. Seems its about 16 feet tall. I then started thinking well that would clear the roof. hmm

So for the fun of it i typed it in on craigslist

Found an old ham on there selling one beleive it or not

10$!!!!!!!

Drove down and got it. Stuck it up on a 5 foot mast and Bang

Instant contact in SC, GA, FL, IL, MO NC OH

Thanks to everyone that participated in this thread and gave suggestions.
It appears although it may not be optimal this old 10$ antenna is doing the trick
Im getting far south with no real band openings. Should it ever open i think im in good shape

Thanks again to everyone that particpated and offered suggestions. If anyone needs a 6 or 10 dipole bran new, let me know. Im sure someone has the right space to use it.

Thanks again

Glad to hear you got some contacts made.

Vertical work well.

Now you have a vertical, although it has no gain it did get you above the roof and you can "talk" with it.

Research 5/8 wave ground plane, or better yet a .64 WL ground plane.

Study it and then decide if you want an vertical with some gain:drool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.