• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DIY Cell Signal Booster?

Sarasota Slim

Nov 18, 2016
Earth, normally
I live in a rural area. ("Live" meaning that I own a house, keep personal belongings in it, and occasionally visit the property, lol)

I have one phone that utilizes Sprint towers, and another that utilizes Verizon towers. My house is too far from the nearest Sprint tower for the Sprint phone to work, and the Verizon phone is fairly spotty.

My house is clad in aluminum siding, essentially making it a Faraday Cage, in regard to cellular telephones.

Now, I have figured out where the cell towers, for both Sprint and Verizon, are located, in relation to my house, so I could aim directional antennas. Also, since I have no Board of Petty Tyrants lording over my property, I can do whatever I see fit, when it comes to antennas. When it comes to phone usage, my wife won't even balk.

Question, then: Anyone here ever build a cell booster? I figure that, since a cellular telephone is really just a type of radio communication device, certainly someone here must have tackled such a project.

I know that they make such a device. Wilson Electronics, aka WeBoost, makes a few models; I have one in my truck. But, they are damned pricey. It would be nice to do it less expensively.

Even if you've never thought about it before, any thoughts on how you would go about it?

I would start with a dish type antenna aimed at the tower into a low power broad band amp to a non directional antenna inside the house.

I would start with a dish type antenna aimed at the tower into a low power broad band amp to a non directional antenna inside the house.

That was my general idea; although, I would need 2 antennas outside, as the 2 towers that I'm trying to reach are in different directions (Sprint tower is north-ish, Verizon tower is west-ish)

That was my general idea; although, I would need 2 antennas outside, as the 2 towers that I'm trying to reach are in different directions (Sprint tower is north-ish, Verizon tower is west-ish)
Or maybe one omni-directional outside on your tower. If it high enough you should be able to get a good strong signal from both towers,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.