1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

diy full wave 11 meter loop antenna question

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by Mudduckmobile, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Robb

Robb Yup

Are you using that 20m loop on 10m and 11m?
    Or are the two different loops?

Because if one loop was used for all those bands; then I kinda figured that you were using a 4:1 balun and 450 ohm feeder with a tuner.

Thanks!

2. Mudduckmobile

Mudduckmobile Well-Known Member

Question:
    Can I put a PL 259 on ladder line to connect my yaesu ft450d to a 11 meter loop antenna, do I really need to use coax?
    Just a crazy question...'cause I don't know.

3. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

ROBB if you want multi band the delta loop use the lowest band , IE 20 meter loop will work on 17,15,12,11,10 etc with tuner.
    I DO NOT use tuner I build mono band coax fed, friend of mine uses his delta multiband and has good results.

4:1 or 1:1 what ever you have laying around the shack,, would do the trick

Robb likes this.
  4. wavrider

Use a short piece of coax, around 10 feet or less in length to get the coax outside the shack, then use a balun to connect the coax to the ladderline, ladderline to the delta, have fun

5. Mudduckmobile

Cool, will do. Thank you.

6. cbphreaker

cbphreaker Ganbatte Kudasai "Success depends your effort"

If you use 50 ohms unbalanced into a 4:1 balun you'll end up at 200 Ohms balanced "on the other side. 450/200 = 2.25. So you'll have a line with an swr 2.25. While this swr isnt that bad for ladder line you can get an easy transformation to 450 by using a 1/4 wave length of 300 ohm twin lead right after the 4:1 balun "into" the 450.

If you are building a mono band antenna, you can use a 1/4 wavelength of 450 ohm balanced in parallel with the input at your antenna which will go from 450 to 100 and since the loop is a balanced antenna it's perfect. No silly right hand scews on the radiation pattern and practically 0 common mode current on the line.

Or you could get a 9:1 balun (50x9 = 450) either would work acceptably.

Cheers

CBPheaker

#21 cbphreaker, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. Mudduckmobile

Thank You for your help! It seems like no one use's the loop antenna around here, To me it looks like it is a very good antenna, for what goes in to it. I also like the way it could Lead to a nice quad beam some time down the road.

8. cbphreaker

cbphreaker Ganbatte Kudasai "Success depends your effort"

You will be happy with the performance of the loop once you get the line issues straightened out.

You already have the right idea with the 450 Ohm balanced line. I always wondered why more CB operators don't use this stuff. The loss per hundred feet is around 4 times less than LMR400 and cheaper too.

If your the DIY type you can make a 4:1 balun from coax which costs almost nothing, at it's output connect the 1/4 wave length 300 twin lead to the 450. Measure the length of the 450 to be a multiple of a 1/2 wave on 11meters and parallel 1/4 for a perfect match to your quad.

Its possible to do the same thing at the other end if you wanted to use 450 ohm line for a long, low-loss run. Simply use another 1/4 wave length of 300 ohm and input that in to another 4:1 coaxial to get back to 50ohms unbalanced at the antenna end.

This setup requires no tuner, is mono banded, tuned, very low loss, and helps in suppression of RFI.

I hope you get it working, you will never want to use coax again!

Cheers

CBPhreaker

9. wavrider

222DBFL likes this.
  10. Mudduckmobile

Ok, I cant find the answer to this question, maybe my search skills suck...So I will ask.
    With the "full wave delta loop wire antenna" cut so center of band is set at 27.385.00
    where else would this antenna work? I think I saw something about odd numbers...
    !! meters....etc verses even 10,20 etc.
    Or you know of a good page(s) to read to learn?
    And I am trying to find a Fiber Glass push up pole 30ft. or longer to hold the delta loop.
    I find shorter, and I find carbon Fiber but do not want that.

11. tecnicoloco

tecnicoloco Tweaknician in Training

12. Mudduckmobile

My friend, your link has opened a new can of worms :)
    The SATURN looks fun to try next, after the delta loop is done!
    Now I need to find the Fiber Glass rod.
    Thank you!

tecnicoloco likes this.
  13. wavrider

Driveway markers( fiber glass rods) available at home depot, or use 1/2" pvc for spreaders.

Mudduckmobile likes this.
  14. Mudduckmobile

15. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

Perhaps because CBers only use a small slice of the RF spectrum with mono-band antennas,................................ and seem to think that the VSWR MUST be 1.0:1.