• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dodge Mobile Antenna Help

kemosabe

Feb 10, 2006
Branford, Florida
Would someone tell me if a 4' Firestik front fender mount antenna would be a good choice for my truck? I have a tonneau cover so the bed rails are out and I have a sunroof so a top mount is out and the Wilson 1000 mag mount I had on a previous truck rusted the top of my truck. I would appreciate any advice, thanks. 8)

kemosabe,
Sounds like you've given it some thought, and your idea sounds as if it's as good as any, all things considered. Still the old option of putting an antenna on the bumper (think I'd rather do it your way though).
- 'Doc

Thanks for your reply W5LZ, I have given it a lot of thought, but I don't know much about electronics ( I am a mech. engineer) and want to get the right application for my CB, the only problem I have with the Wilson is the lenght and I thought if I can use the short load antenna on the Wilson base instead of the long whip and stil get out there .....that will be the ticket for me. Again I don't know squat about electronics and have to rely on help from this forum. 8)

HA! You and electronics sounds like me and mechanics - lol! Sort of like using 'duck oil' to lubricate wheel bearings. (Squeeze all the oil out of a duck first.) It works fine for very short trips. Squaks, squeels, etc, on longer ones... smells terrible too.
- 'Doc

'Duck oil' was recommended by my mechanic.

Time for my medication, bye.

Question Kemosabe. What year is your Pick-up?

If you have a '94 and up you might want to think about using a Mount that is made just for your truck. It's called the SS Hood Mount: http://www.1stopelectronics.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=82&cart=546327
Take a look at 1 Stop Electronics. They have a kit that comes with the mount and coax.

I used this mount on my Dodge Ram with a large coil antenna, kind of like a Monkey Made Antenna and never had a problem. This is a good strong mount.

Good luck!!
Texas Grizzly Bear

Thanks for your reply TGB. Originally I had thought about the Firestik mount made for later model Dodge trucks on the front drivers side, but couldn't hook up with anyone who had one to see how it worked for them, I had also considered using the stake mount on the bed and mounting it behind the cab on the pass. side but figured the cab pillar may cause too much deflection. The front fender mount would be a good idea if it transmitted and received OK. 8)

Hey Kemosabe!

I just installed a radio on my friends F150 today. After showing him some of the options he had for the Antenna Mount he told me he wanted to go with a Stake Hole Mount. I had never used one and really didn’t think they worked that well. I tried to talk him into using a Mount that went under the hood. I have never liked the idea of drilling into car/ truck bodies. And the one I was pushing worked with out having to drill anywhere that would be visible when the hood was closed. Well, he didn’t want to go with that one because he felt the Antenna might bother his field of vision. So the Stake Hole Mount it was, the best of both Worlds no drilling and out of his field of vision.

I ordered the Mount a Firestik 4’ Antenna and a Heavy Duty Quick Disconnect (parking at his work low over head clearance). 1 Stop must have been out of Firestiks because they sent me the next one up on their list they sent me a Wilson 4’ Silverload Antenna (I wanted to get as much of the Antenna above the cab as I could that is why I went with the 4’).

Let me tell you the set up is working great! Tonight we talked him from his Truck me from my Jeep. We were able to talk from at least 15 to 20 miles apart.

If you haven’t made up you mind yet there is some more food for thought.

Good luck,
Texas Grizzly Bear

Antenna Mount

TGB, thanks again for your reply. That setup sounds good to me, did you mount it in the stake hole close to the cab? I had considered it, but was worried that the cab pillar might cause too much deflection. 8)

I would mount the antenna near the back of the truck bed, so you reduce reflection off the cab. Also, if you run an amp, you really don't want RF that close to you or your passengers.I think there are stake hole mounts that you can put in under a tonneau cover, that extend out the side a bit.

I ran a Ram 1500 with a 2950 and a Wilson 5' Silverload on a stake hole mount for several years and had good success with it. Locally, it did well, and back in 2000 with the solar cycle being active, I worked Europe almost everyday from the mobile.
I remember having a 20 minute QSO with a guy from Amsterdam while driving someplace one day.

I always recommend grounding, or bonding, as much as you can to reduce noise. Run ground straps from the truck bed and cab to the frame, run ground straps from exhaust clamps to the frame, run ground straps from the antenna mount to the frame, and so on and so on.

Paul, thanks for your input. I am running a amp with my system and was concerned about the RF as well as deflection with the antenna close to the cab. Then it is settled, I will use the Firestik stake mount and mount the antenna at the passengers side rear bed stake hole. 8)

Mine (2001 ranger) is mounted like loadstone`s (pic ubove), but I have it on the drivers side, P-10K, 27"shaft, single coil.
I did not even use a stake mount, took a mirror mount, removed the bolts and half of the bracket. I used some short 1/4 self drilling/taping metal screws, and screwed the mount to the stake hole bracket, on the inside of the bed.
Works great, the coil is above the cab.
Less than 1 watt of reflected power with 400 watts foward......

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.