• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dodge Neon HF RFI Issues

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Well, slapped my Magnum 257 in my 05 Neon using a Wilson !000 Trunk Mount. I was amazed by how quiet the receive was. No ignition, Wiper, blower motor or fuel pump noise. Just plain peaceful receive. SWR is golden....

Started it up and drove out into the country and as soon as I keyed up, Ding, MIL comes on with an engine stumble. Pulled over and did a key dance that showed crank sensor. Blah!

My next thing to do is to bond the trunk and hood. If that don't work, gonna wrap a choke. If that don't work, gonna hard mount an antenna on the roof with a choke. If that don't work, gonna isolate the crank sensor wires and bead them. If that don't work, I'll just slap a dual band VHF in that car. I'm still looking for a good old truck.

Dodge sensors and computers suck bad, I do know that much. I probably should try another radio and see what it does.

Anyone have any first hand Neon install issues or success stories? I really don't feel like busting my ass or pissing away money on this project. I can usually tame common mode, but I think this Neon is going to win.

the only issues I had in a 98 plymouth neon was it turned my tach into a mod meter.
I liked it.
that was a wilson 500 on the trunk lid, a boomer 400 on low and a 5 pin president grant. .

Reactions: 1 person
Mounted my Uniden PC787 and no issues observed. Grabbed my Optima and it worked fine as well. Seems the Magnum might need a date with a scope.

Gonna run some big wire in a few days to see how my TR-296 with KL-203 works. I might try my DX-94HP as well. I kinda like the 787 with its big meter and lighted face plate. It's a little noisy though, not to bad, but noisier than I like. I bet an old school Cobra 29 would fit the bill.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I skimmed over it, but will read entire thread before going to bed.

I ran some heavier zip cable from the battery thru the firewall. I did a quick install and test with my DX-94HP. Again, no RFI problems. Just for giggles, hooked the Magnum back up and MIL fires off again.

I'm at a loss, I figured damn well that the Galaxy would cause fits. I'm going to go ahead and strap whatever I can. I've got a box of 12" tinned copper straps so I may as well use them. I only have one mix 31 3/4" choke, but I'll use that on the roof mount.

One thing, I have no issues when talking SSB on the Magnum, it's only on AM...Strange. The other radios work fine on either mode. I'm tempted to mount my DX-70 or TS-50 and a screw driver on the rear quarter. I'd hate to go thru all that work and have problems. My intentions were to wait until I find an old pickup to serve as my HF mobile anyways.

End story...

Just installed my Texas Ranger TR-296 in front of my RM Italy KL-203. No problems so far. I'm going to strap my trunk and hood only, don't feel like doing anything more than that. I'm going to leave the trunk mount Wilson as is. In a few days, I'll mount a nice dual band NMO antenna on the roof and call it a day. Guess I'll put the Magnum on one of our tractors or older combines.

The TR-296 sure is a fine radio and very quiet with a kick ass NB.

RFI is a funny thing at times.

This is not a CB bash. Why bother? I try once a year to hook up a radio because I miss the old days and Amateur is so slow now. When I don't get ear shattering S 10 noise all i
I ever hear is several "scat" talkers trying to scream over each other and see who can recite the same old canned diatribe until they pass out. I'm near Charlotte NC. Is this normal or a regional thing? Hope your rig works well.

Keep the radio and try a different vehicle. ;)

I'm still looking, just gonna keep simple setup in the Neon for now. Looking for a beater dual bander for local simplex chat. I want an older GMC 4x4 pickup to use for HF mobile. Hard to find anything local that isn't all rusted up. Not in a big hurry as I'm researching what HF antenna system I want to go with. Shouldn't be to difficult as I'm only interested in 10-40 meters.

This is not a CB bash. Why bother? I try once a year to hook up a radio because I miss the old days and Amateur is so slow now. When I don't get ear shattering S 10 noise all i
I ever hear is several "scat" talkers trying to scream over each other and see who can recite the same old canned diatribe until they pass out. I'm near Charlotte NC. Is this normal or a regional thing? Hope your rig works well.

I still have a few local long time friends that I chat with on CB.

Additional note:

I strapped the trunk this afternoon and before doing anything else, I mounted the 257 for another test. I drove around town while talking to my son and the MIL stayed off. Guess they helped.

So, I'm leaving the Magnum mounted until I get my roof mount NMO antenna installed and do away with the Wilson. I also strapped the hood before quitting for the day. I left the doors alone for now. I hope my issues are solved and I certainly don't expect the roof mount to give me fits.

I'm liking how quiet my mobile install has turned out. I'm tempted to slap my TS-50 or DX-70 in the Neon and use my Diamond SD-330 screwdriver that I've been saving. I just need to visit Universal and pick up a mount. Any thoughts on the lower bands bringing the gremlins back?

Well, slapped my Magnum 257 in my 05 Neon using a Wilson !000 Trunk Mount. I was amazed by how quiet the receive was. No ignition, Wiper, blower motor or fuel pump noise. Just plain peaceful receive. SWR is golden....

Started it up and drove out into the country and as soon as I keyed up, Ding, MIL comes on with an engine stumble. Pulled over and did a key dance that showed crank sensor. Blah!

My next thing to do is to bond the trunk and hood. If that don't work, gonna wrap a choke. If that don't work, gonna hard mount an antenna on the roof with a choke. If that don't work, gonna isolate the crank sensor wires and bead them. If that don't work, I'll just slap a dual band VHF in that car. I'm still looking for a good old truck.

Dodge sensors and computers suck bad, I do know that much. I probably should try another radio and see what it does.

Anyone have any first hand Neon install issues or success stories? I really don't feel like busting my ass or pissing away money on this project. I can usually tame common mode, but I think this Neon is going to win.

they come with a small battery and alternator that is pretty much maxed out by just running . you can purchase a (car audio 1.0 farad capacitor ) and it will solve your problems . this will kill the problem by keeping the voltage @12-14volts at all times . hope this helps . you can find these @ crutchfield.com
or sonicelectronix.com

73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.