• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does feed line length matter?

Since you've gone to that level...

As a radio operator, knowing your field of work, connector to this - connector to that - and you came out to say that it doesn't matter even up to the UHF...

Sigh,...

I'll be the better of the two and just bow out of this...I'm done here - this threads a Trap.

My apologies however when someone comes out swinging with insults and CLEARLY has not done their own homework and accuses me of incompetence I tend to come out swinging back.

I get it. No one likes to be insulted. I appreciate what you do here, but I don't think it's right to wear your boxing gloves and moderator hat at the same time.

I have no doubts about your professional background. Someone knew a guy that knew a guy that worked with you.

Reactions: 2NC995 and Riverman

As a radio operator, knowing your field of work, connector to this - connector to that - and you came out to say that it doesn't matter even up to the UHF...

Sigh,...

I'll be the better of the two and just bow out of this...I'm done here - this threads a Trap.

It would really help if you would not just assume things. Loss in a SINGLE connector is negligible. Not non-existant but not worth worrying about. Period. Stringing a dozen or more in series may introduce impedance bumps and would never be done in practice however the overall loss is extremely small compared to fallacies that abound. If it were really the 0.1 dB as claimed then 30 connectors should reduce the power by half. It does not. Well maybe the cheap Chinese or Indian manufactured connectors do but anyone serious in radio uses good quality connectors. Typical Amphenol connectors are speced at and actually measure out at 0.01 dB per connector throughout their frequency range. That is a factor of ten times better than even the best case fallacy. Some professional signal path calculators use a full 1.0 dB for losses which is insane. The simple installation of a connector on each end of a cable would lose 2 dB before any cable losses and at high power would heat up unacceptably to the point of failure.

As for your next reply I suggest you consider the wording VERY carefully.

Bad choice of words.

To me, you seem on the edge a lot, it's not the argument...IMO it is most often how we make the argument. I perfer the old man's humble approach in the video showing the test of a series of connectors. Here it is again, in case you didn't look at it.

My apologizes, big guy, for giving my opinion. I promise it won't happen again.

Captain, I think everyone understands your initial angry response. No one likes to be talked down to. Especially when someone comes across like the Lord of WWDX with his word being gospel. Andy could/should have stated his concern in a more appropiate manner.

Still, an Administrator should not be calling members ass holes and the such but instead should be setting an example for the rest of us. And weilding the power of your position by warning Andy to carefully choose the wording of his reply was in very poor taste. In my opinion.

Bad choice of words.

To me, you seem on the edge a lot, it's not the argument...IMO it is most often how we make the argument. I perfer the old man's humble approach in the video showing the test of a series of connectors. Here it is again, in case you didn't look at it.

My apologizes, big guy, for giving my opinion. I promise it won't happen again.

Like I said before.....opinions are fine. It is how those opinions are presented that sometimes causes an issue. As for being on the edge as you say.......no not really. If you remember back at the first of the year there was a lot of crap going on regarding a few different subjects and I publicly stated that it was "a new year with new rules. Like it or leave it". Just got tired of the BS and crap that was going on and tired of getting PM and complaints about it. This place is still pretty much wide open for discussions but when things start to get unruly, and that is only rarely, things get dealt with in a quicker manner than in the past. that's all. No vendettas against anyone or such. I find it funny that some will complain or report a post when someone attacks another member but when the member being attacked happens to be an admin he is accused of being heavy handed in his response. If someone disagrees they are welcome to read the TOS agreement on this site.Take it for what you will. It's bedtime. Some us us still have day jobs that actually pay us.

Gone to what level? Posting facts? I'm happy to join them at that level if thats ok...

I can tell you from personal experience, using an AIM4170c VNA that can measure loss in decibels down to 0.01 dB, I had to string 11 of said connections together just to get a reliable loss measurement from these devices, and that is a signal that passed through all 11 connections twice in the process, at 2 meter frequencies. Lowering the frequency and said losses went down. So yea, like they said, the losses per connection are irrelevant. To get enough losses that you will notice the difference you will need a *lot* of those connections.

And the video you are referring to, if anything, confirms what M0GVZ and Captain Kilowatt said in the context of how they said it. Its almost like you backed their claim for them...

The DB

:whistle::whistle:Sure, a bunch of connectors don't look that bad with a small signal from a tester. What happens as the current increases? I am sure it becomes a problem as power is increased. This is where the quality of the connector becomes important.

Captain, I think everyone understands your initial angry response. No one likes to be talked down to. Especially when someone comes across like the Lord of WWDX with his word being gospel. Andy could/should have stated his concern in a more appropiate manner.

Still, an Administrator should not be calling members ass holes and the such but instead should be setting an example for the rest of us. And weilding the power of your position by warning Andy to carefully choose the wording of his reply was in very poor taste. In my opinion.

You are right, he could have just banned him with no warning.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.