• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does height above Earth effect the common mode current response?

It was Cebik. It was about counterpoise. Not the one you found, although I will read that one soon.

This is the one I linked:

Counterpoise - LB Cebik

Homer I get about the same impression as before: for the use of the word counterpoise as it applies to two way radio and antennas...being meaningless and a subject of seeming constant disruption and debate.

I think Cebik is just going on and on. IMO that's about the same as the original word metchant that coined the term, when hoping to satisfy his own pride...creating a new and distinctive word for the trade.

Cebik about says it all in his first paragraph below, don't you think?
Cebik said:
cps.ht1.gif
he term counterpoise has a long history in antenna engineering and amateur practice. Today, it may be among the most misused terms in amateur circles. Indeed, if we examine both the history of the term, its meaning, and its misuses, we might reach an interesting conclusion: there is no such thing as a counterpoise in antenna analysis, even though the term has a long and somewhat respectable use in antenna engineering.

After reading the entire paper more than once, I understand all of it, and I get what he is saying in the above quoted paragraph.
He is saying that given the level of misuse, and the amount of contradiction in its use it has certainly lost whatever meaning it had.
That was his first paragraph. I do not believe he would have spent the time he did examining the term over time and sorting out its true historical meaning if he thought it had no meaning at all.
I agree with him that today using the term will yield absolutely no meaningful nor useful assistance to antenna analysis. That is simply because it is not a clearly understood nor clearly defined term any longer. Using it leaves a different idea in every persons head.
I feel as I believe Cebik did - the term counterpoise has a definite historical meaning worth exploring and understanding, but it will not cure the misconception surrounding it whether one is a Ham or a CB operator.

After reading the entire paper more than once, I understand all of it, and I get what he is saying in the above quoted paragraph.

He is saying that given the level of misuse, and the amount of contradiction in its use it has certainly lost whatever meaning it had.
That was his first paragraph. I do not believe he would have spent the time he did examining the term over time and sorting out its true historical meaning if he thought it had no meaning at all.

I agree with him that today using the term will yield absolutely no meaningful nor useful assistance to antenna analysis. That is simply because it is not a clearly understood nor clearly defined term any longer. Using it leaves a different idea in every persons head.

I feel as I believe Cebik did - the term counterpoise has a definite historical meaning worth exploring and understanding, but it will not cure the misconception surrounding it whether one is a Ham or a CB operator.

Homer, the problem I had with the subject is understanding all the lame arguments, not so much the principals for what a counterpoise is or was.

Further down in the article Cebik quotes Laport.

Cebik said:
See Fig. 3 for a sketch adapted from Laport's volume. My version is simplified in omitting the antenna control box ("tuning house" below the wires) and, more significantly, in only showing a few of the wires that make up the counterpoise system. As Laport notes, the counterpoise system is preferable to a buried radial system in terms of loss reduction in the AM broadcast band. However, for ground-mounted installations, it is usually impractical. Hence buried wires in AM broadcast antenna systems are more common. However, the counterpoise system remains necessary in urban situations, when such antenna must be mounted atop buildings with somewhat dubious conductive structures below the ground-plane system.

For me this quote helps explain why the idea of counterpoise is not applicable much anymore, because it is based on an idea regarding radials being very close, but not touching the Earth. Plus, I'm not too sure when Laport talks about the counterpoise idea being better than buried radials...how much difference there is. Broadcast rules and results are far more stringent that Ham or CB radio.

It is also a fact that we hardly ever see ground (Earth) mounted antennas anymore in Ham or CB, and the ones we do see are usually buried radial systems.

The counterpoise idea is like the dinosaurs. This probably explains why we saw this idea fade away over time, and in spite of its claimed effectiveness it probably had a lot to do with the government, lawyers, and liability too.

I think we do not see the counterpoise idea implemented for two simple reasons:

1. People don't know what it is when the word is used, and
2. the idea of the counterpoise was first developed when there was not a profusion of manufactured antennas with a set of radials built into them.

I do not maintain on any level that we ought to make it a matter of practice again.
But I will stubbornly insist that it is necessary to understand its real meaning if one wants to run around tossing the word to and fro like grass seed and expect anyone to really know what they are talking about. Additionally, Cebik sought clarity for the term from the historical origins, but knew no one would give a rats rump ultimately.

And there is the matter of trying to convey an idea about how and why RF acts the way it does in a simple sentence that doesn't turn into dozens of posts of arguments and contradictions and ignorance piled on top of ignorance which leaves the poor soul who needed an answer more confused than before so that he just ends up saying, "I guess I'll just get an Imax 2000 and put it on a fence. Is a long chain link fence a good counterpoise?" (which of course it is not, but someone will immediately post that it is, it might , could be, maybe so, probably not, no way, my cousin used one, anything will do if conditions are right and a multitude of additional posts which have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of the counterpoise.)

You asked me. I answered.
Nothings going to change. And I doubt the guv'ment had anything to do with folks either being ignorant, or having alternatives to the counterpoise system. Antenna manufacturers replacing the art of the homebrew antenna system has done that.

By the way, I still use one everyday. It's my mobile antenna system.

Last edited:
I think we do not see the counterpoise idea implemented for two simple reasons:

1. People don't know what it is when the word is used, and
2. the idea of the counterpoise was first developed when there was not a profusion of manufactured antennas with a set of radials built into them.

I do not maintain on any level that we ought to make it a matter of practice again.
But I will stubbornly insist that it is necessary to understand its real meaning if one wants to run around tossing the word to and fro like grass seed and expect anyone to really know what they are talking about. Additionally, Cebik sought clarity for the term from the historical origins, but knew no one would give a rats rump ultimately.

And there is the matter of trying to convey an idea about how and why RF acts the way it does in a simple sentence that doesn't turn into dozens of posts of arguments and contradictions and ignorance piled on top of ignorance which leaves the poor soul who needed an answer more confused than before so that he just ends up saying, "I guess I'll just get an Imax 2000 and put it on a fence. Is a long chain link fence a good counterpoise?" (which of course it is not, but someone will immediately post that it is, it might , could be, maybe so, probably not, no way, my cousin used one, anything will do if conditions are right and a multitude of additional posts which have absolutely nothing to do with the concept of the counterpoise.)

You asked me. I answered.
Nothings going to change. And I doubt the guv'ment had anything to do with folks either being ignorant, or having alternatives to the counterpoise system. Antenna manufacturers replacing the art of the homebrew antenna system has done that.

By the way, I still use one everyday. It's my mobile antenna system.

Well Homer, you got me on that one. I never thought about a mobile setup in light of this idea. I think that maybe the ideal way to consider the idea in practical terms.

I wouldn't be so hasty to think the government doesn't have anything to do with our being ignorant, but I do think there is proof <gotproof> in your words on this issue.

Do you remember me ever telling you the story about building mobile co-phase harnesses back in the glory days of CB, and our tuning the setups on a lowboy all steel trailer, and that we recommended the setups for the rear bumpers on pick up trucks only?

Maybe your thinking here is exactly why-we-saw what-we-saw back then, a real capacitance to Earth working in the antennas. I have heard the idea of capacitance in mobiles discussed before, but I paid it little to no mind. Your words show us a simple way that maybe we can consider the idea of counterpoise.

Way to go Homer. You made me see the light. I think all of those other guys back then, arguing with you in your thread, should re-consider what you were trying to tell us.

The Preacher Man was doing good.

Thanks for putting up with me and helping me see the light.(y)

I'm glad you see the concept through the mobile setup.
This is why it frustrates me when folks want to put a 1/4 wave whip on a pole of indiscriminate length and use it for a base antenna. Someone always arises to sing its virtues in spite of it being a lousy setup. It is not necessary to understand the counterpoise as it was originally used to know why a whip on a pole is a poor antenna setup, but when folks start in about how the whip needs a counterpoise, when in fact it needs a groundplane, the ignorance is perpetuated even more. Now we have introduced a new generation of radio operators to our own failed understanding.

Your thread here is a good one.

We can discuss how height affects RFI due to proximity of the antenna to the interfered with electronics.

We can distinguish between RFI due to proximity, and what is or is not CMC.
We can learn that TVI is the result of either CMC or RFI, or both, and we can learn to see the similarities between the activity of the three, and note the distinctions between them, too.

We can even explore the possibility of reducing TVI due to RFI by lengths of coax. And we can sort out the possibility that CMC is somewhat controllable by coax lengths if for no other reason than cable losses reducing the impact of any CMC that may have made the lossy trip back to the shack.

More than anecdotes can be employed by bringing the might of the antenna model to the discussion, and skills can be honed by discussing the variables utilized by different modelers to get their results. Those of us who read and watch become more familiar with the terms used, and the application of those terms. Tomorrow we are just a little less ignorant, and a little better prepared to enjoy our hobby and teach others.

Maybe, just maybe, if we have the energy to fine tune the points raised by your questions we can sort out the similarities and distinctions between Counterpoise and Groundplane and one of these days someone else will have an "Ah Ha" moment that leads them to a broader understanding of their radio experience so that when a newbie asks them whether a chain link fence is a good counterpoise they will be able to say to them that a chain link fence has as much relationship to a counterpoise as Ed Sullivan does the the Geico Gecko and put the honest hearted operator on the true road to understanding that will help him to know when he needs a counterpoise, and when he needs a groundplane and how to build it himself.

By the way, from what I've read of the little available the use of the counterpoise has been most useful when the soil is poor. It was considered to be better than the buried radials system in such a case as the capacitance added a dimension of assistance to the poor soil that burying the network in the ground did not provide.
I understand how and why, but I am not educated enough on this type of electrical science to draw you a bunch of hyphens, commas, colons, pi, hash marks and Y's, Z's and other letters including above all an "n" to appear to make a point that no one will understand except Einstein. I simply know that's what it said was been done, and I am still a student of the deeper concepts of science that makes it work.

I don't believe the counterpoise has fallen out of fashion at all. I believe it has become misunderstood and consequently fallen into disuse.
I can think of the posts and writings I've encountered that have drawn from speculations over the differences between the performances of the same antenna over different soils. There have been sessions of name calling, disputes, and incredulity over this simple difference. Why can one person see a different result than another? We accept the laws that govern RF behavior and are willing to lose friends over those things we believe, yet often it is the simple missing component in our understanding that causes us to disagree and disbelieve one another.

I grew up where you now live. I know the amount of rain fall that is customary there. I heard all of the discussion of the water table beneath the soil, and the concerns for the possibility of the city sinking a little at a time. Maybe it never will, but it is a firm case for the conductivity of the soil, and of the advantage it gives over soil like my own rocky mountainous terrain. And I have read the threads where folks derided your experiences with your antennas. To me that appears as evidence of a certain deficiency in their understanding of things such as what is possible under a different set of prevailing circumstances. Does the soil reflect a signal more efficiently, or does it absorb it more readily. What is the best course of action to either take advantage of those conditions, either to use them , or to make whatever corrections might be possible to get a better result. Certainly there have been some who made this a matter for consideration when they put together a radio station. With so many antenna choices today the questions all seem to center on "which antenna is the best" as if there is a magical best antenna out there. The focus is misplaced, I believe. The search for that answer should be one that centers on discovery of which works best. Many advise this course, but then the inquirer is once again sent through a litany of antenna manufacturers with someone who lives in Chicago insisting the best antenna for the guy who lives in th Mohave Desert is the one that he has proven beyond doubt works because its the best in his Chicago neighborhood. I believe the importance of knowing what things mean is essential to knowing how to direct someone to discovering his/her best solution. The laws of nature that govern the results we get are inviolable. We just have to try to come to terms with them and work as partners with the environment we are in.

I know this is time consuming, and many just want to get on the air. It is such hastiness that has created the "Super Bowl", and lead to the mongrelization of high bred radio communications in favor of the junk yard dog heavy mega wattage radio. Some day I will have to take the time to get off my behind and move on to other bands where purity and science and partnership with understanding may still have some vestigial hold on the thinking of Radio Operators, and where it is still a fine thing to talk 10,000 miles on a handful of watts, and where the operator knows it is because he became a partner with his QTH. But then again, Cebiks complaint was that Amateurs operators didn't seem to know what they were talking about regarding the counterpoise. Could it be because they don't seem to care?

Anyway. Glad you took the time.

Reactions: 1 person
Great post Homer.

Happened to be unavailable since the "counterpoise" subject arose in this thread.

I to, since the aforementioned thread, have been actively seeking out information on this term as used in antennas. I have learned a lot on the subject in my search for reliable information, which is hard to come by. Also, not all of what I have learned is directly related to the term.

I started a thread in another forum on this topic, namely what it was and what source they had for their information. One person (ironically the first person) listed a source, wikipedia. Several others chimed in, they all had their own different ideas, but no one could tell me why, or give me any sources short of some ham's call sign that I have not seen or heard of before used the term in such a way. I had what, five more unique descriptions for what the word meant.

It was about that time that I realized that there is no real need for the word today when referring to antennas. From its original use as a "capacitive ground", to one of the many current uses including when it is often misused to replace the term "ground plane", there is no use (legitimate or otherwise) of the word that doesn't have another word or phrase that more accurately describes what is being referred to at the time. All it does is spread confusion, and it always will as long as it has different meanings to different people.

Perhaps one day the use of the word will congeal into a new unified (or near unified) use of the term, somehow I doubt it. Perhaps it is best to use whatever other term or phrase describes what is being talked about and let the word counterpoise, when referring to antennas, die.

If you want to do research on the topic, Laports book, Radio Antenna Engineering, which was one of several books referred to and quoted by Cebik, is a good source and available in .pdf format online for free. I personally prefer the description given in the 3'rd and 4'th (they are the same word for word) edition of the ARRL Antenna Books, which is much more readable for the non-engineer, but harder to find. These two sources don't agree exactly, and that is common among the few sources from the 40's and 50's that talk about the term "counterpoise" that I have been able to locate. While they do have their differences, so far they are all referring to a "capacitive ground" when using the term "counterpoise". For example, some say the radials (or wires) should be resonant while others say that you should use cross connected wires in a spider web pattern to prevent resonance. Still others don't even mention resonance. I guess even then there were differences in the use of the term, although not as drastic as some of the differences today.

If your looking for a good analogy of how the traditional meaning of the term "counterpoise" works, look at a magnet mount on a car. The magnet and the metal on the car near the magnet forms two plates of a capacitor. A capacitor will let AC current (such as we see with our transmitted RF signal) pass from one side to the other, in the case of a magnet mount antenna creating a connection with the body of the vehicle it is sitting on. The bigger the magnet (to a point) the more efficient it becomes. The radials or, as presented in Laport's book as well as others, the spiderweb layout of elevated wires and the earth below perform the same function as the magnet mount and the body of the car. As you raise the elevated radials/spider web layout of wires further above ground the larger they need to be to maintain the same capacitance with the earth ground below. The heights where a system is effective depend partially on the frequency the antenna is using. To high and it looses its capacitance all together and becomes an artificial ground plane as it tries to replace the earth below instead of providing a connection to it.

The DB

Last edited:
Hello, DB.
Good to see you chime in, although I think you may have skimmed over what I wrote, or else you have fallen into the same quagmire most are who find it difficult to understand what can be said on this subject.
Personally, I agree misuse has led to disuse, but I believe we live with the the properties described by the original use of the term counterpoise daily in the field of antenna science. So I disagree that we should not find understanding and consensus for it. Use any other term when we don't even know what it is?
As Mama used to say, "If anything will do nothing will do as well"
And that is where we are today, anything has led to nothing, which has recycled to everything one can imagine.

I want less to be accepted than I want to be correct in my understanding.
I used to play a game with my children when they were very young. I would ask them "what if orange is really blue, and blue is really green, and red is yellow and not what we say it is? What if round is square and rectangle is triangle and our feet are up instead of down? What if we have been saying it this way and got it all wrong just because everyone thinks so and say it that way?"
Of course, this would lead them to frustration and next news you know they would be crying out for Mama to make me stop. It was for me partly entertainment, but mostly an exercise of teachin. Today these adult children refuse to accept information without proof of its validity. They are open enough to accept things at face value only to point of giving the matter a chance to establish itself as a point of reference, but they are no ones fool, and there must be validity to all things without chaos in conclusion. So, there we are, with smart people saying dumb things all the time, and clueless people even less informed.

Staying where I am.

PS. 3 hrs later:
Ok, DB,
what I wrote above was at around 3:30 AM.
I awoke with a serious headache and was still very sleepy. I just reread your post and realize I misunderstood your message. It is quite clear, and in complete agreemant with my thoughts with only the exception of my belief that we need to not toss away the original meaning for a variety of phrases or terms. I believe we ought to teach and preserve real antenna science as it has been tried, trued, and experienced.
Thanks, again.

Last edited:
PS. 3 hrs later:
Ok, DB,
what I wrote above was at around 3:30 AM.
I awoke with a serious headache and was still very sleepy. I just reread your post and realize I misunderstood your message. It is quite clear, and in complete agreemant with my thoughts with only the exception of my belief that we need to not toss away the original meaning for a variety of phrases or terms. I believe we ought to teach and preserve real antenna science as it has been tried, trued, and experienced.
Thanks, again.

I have absolutely no problem with this in concept. However, as I posted above:

Several others chimed in, they all had their own different ideas, but no one could tell me why, or give me any sources short of some ham's call sign that I have not seen or heard of before used the term in such a way. I had what, five more unique descriptions for what the word meant.

I have since seen the term used on the forum at least three or four more times by those who posted in that thread. Not one of them used the term properly.

Some people actually get downright hostile that you are even questioning them on their use of the term, often going into something like "I've been working with antennas for x number of years which makes me automatically right" attitude. They have no concept that their use of the term is technically incorrect, and causing confusion or, at the very least spreading misuse of a term. And they don't seem to care.

Us using the term only when it correctly applies is a good start, however so many more people continue to use the term incorrectly on a more regular basis that more people will be exposed to the term in those lights.

In reality two people against the world is a loosing proposition, even if those two people are right. This is why I would be content on letting the term die. As I said above:

Perhaps it is best to use whatever other term or phrase describes what is being talked about and let the word counterpoise, when referring to antennas, die.

Even the original use of the term has an alternate term that describes what is happening. Most books from the older days I have have text like 'capacitive ground, or sometimes called a counterpoise', which leads me to think that even then the term was considered a lesser used option of another term.

Our understandings (Homer and I) of what a "counterpoise" is is now very close since your last thread on the topic. There are differences, but that is to be expected as we likely have some different sources to interpret. That being said I think we both are within the much more limited range of variance of the original meaning of the word, which had its differences, even among older texts.

Another thing I have noticed is in this forum since your (Homer's) last thread on "counterpoise", I don't think I've seen the term used here at all up until the last month or two... It was used far more regularly before that thread.

The DB

I see your point.
I suppose we all have a peeve.
I would be very content with the term capacitive ground and let counterpoise go to the side, except for as you said when the term is used in the wrong way. whether or not a new term is utilized the continuing stream of false information will still spoil the soup. That wouldn't matter until someone once again discovered the true link between the counterpoise and the capacitive ground and without due consideration for the near purity of the term capacitive ground began to re-associate it with the mongrelized term counterpoise.

Ah, well.

Hey guys it might help me understand better if you gave us some actual quotes of the misuse statements you mention. I would like some examples so I can sink my teeth into some ideas on exactly what is being said about the counterpoise when giving the wrong idea.

Like I said before my issues with such discussions is I find the arguments are difficult to follow sometimes, and I'm just a simple man.

I liked the idea of mobile use that Homer talks about, because I hear folks occasionally talk about capacitance associated with mobiles...and that might apply because the antenna is riding on insulating tires and the mobile body is close to the Earth.

I have not read Laport's article on this subject, but I get that he tells us the counterpoise idea used correctly produces a better result than buried radials or raised radials. I'm not sure if he got specific with what those differences are, but I doubt it. Are we talking about a big difference or is this another case of a technical difference that may be true...but has little impact on our real world use?

I'm going to model the Classic counterpoise example below, and see how it compares to a ground plane at the same height, a few inches above the Earth, vs. the GP at 5' feet and 9' feet and see what differences, if any, show up. I won't be including the coil or the capicator in the model however.

Classic Counterpoise example.jpg

Here are the Eznec models of the Classic counterpoise vs. ground plane at various heights I posted earlier.

View attachment counterpoise vs. ground plane.pdf

I don't want to get ahead of all the important reading and considering we have ahead of us, but I would like to consider what these models show me.

First off I have a question. Does the "Counterpoise example" model below appear to be a fair representation of the model in Frank C. Jones Radio Handbook for 1937 (p. 39) image for the Classic counterpoise?

cps-1.gif

If so, it appears quite evident that the "Counterpoise example" model at 27.205 mhz shows an advantage in gain over the ground plane at the same height above Earth. I also note that the Jones article refereed to low frequency AM broadcast considerations, in case that makes some difference.

So, I wonder if the counterpoise ground setup that we see here is actually producing the better gain, as has been suggested, or is this advantage due to some other facts...maybe as per comments by W8JI below?

As per W8JI, we know how horizontal radiators tend to show more isotropic gain than verticals over real Earth, and this is said to be due to the ground effects as noted in this link: Antennas for Receiving and Transmitting

Scroll down to his "Warning..."

I suggest this counterpoise model is possibly showing this increase in gain over the ground plane, because 50% of the radiator is horizontal and we have ground effects to be considered...as noted by W8JI. So, what if this advantage is not because of the superiority of the counterpoise design and capacitive effects we're discussing? Or, what if the difference is small, like I suggested elsewhere?

Consider what might happen if I make the "Counterpoise example" model with a full vertical radiator and compare that to the ground plane...at the same heights.

Last edited:
DISCLAIMER Read this paragraph before the rest of the post below: Any time I use the term "counterpoise" in this post it is referring to the traditional meaning of the term as stated in the first quote below from an old ARRL Antenna Book. I also quote a few people on this forum who are very knowledgeable. I am not saying they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to antennas, I am simply using their use of the word in question as an improper use as per the historical definition of the term as it relates to antenna engineering. The definition I use is based on my own research into the historical meaning of the word in question. I also invite you do do your own research on this subject as I would love to have a technical discussion on what counterpoise meant and what it should mean today.

I'll start by quoting a source and go from there...

ARRL Antenna Book 3'rd Edition said:
The counterpoise is a form of capacity ground which is quite effective. Its use is particularly beneficial when an extensive ground system is not practible, or when an ordinary pipe ground cannot be made to have sufficiently low resistance, as in rocky or sandy soil.

To work properly, a counterpoise must be large enough to have a considerable capacity ground, which means that it should cover as much ground area as the location will permit. No specific dimensions are necessary, nor is the number of wires particularly critical. A good form is an approximately circular arrangement using radial wires with cross-connectors joining them at intervals as in figure 1219-A. There is no particular necessity for extending the radius of a circular counterpoise beyond half wavelength, nor is it desirable that lengths of the individual wires bear any particular relation to the wavelength. Rather, the intention is to have the counterpoise act as a pure capacity rather than having pure resonance effects. The capacity of the counterpoise will be approximately to that of a condenser consisting of two plates each of the same area as that of the counterpoise, with spacing equal to the height of the counterpoise above ground.

The shape of the counterpoise may be made anything convenient; square or oblong arrangements are usually fairly easy to construct and will work satisfactorily. There should not be to few wires, but on the other hand separations between wires up to 10 or 15 feet will do no harm on fairly large counterpoises, and 5 to 10 feet on smaller ones. It is a good plan to join adjacent wires with jumpers at intervals equal to the wire separation so that resonance effects will be minimized.

The height of the counterpoise is not particularly critical. It is best to construct it high enough to be out of the way, which ordinarily means 6 to 10 feet above ground. Remember that the height of the antenna is reduced by the counterpoise height.

Satisfactory results have been secured with counterpoises simply lying on the ground, or with large screens of chicken wire similarly laid under the antenna. However the best performance will be secured, as a general rule, when the counterpoise is insulated from ground. When in contact with the ground surface , the losses are likely to be higher because the counterpoise tends to act either as a poorly-conducting direct ground or as a leaky-dielectric condenser.

ARRLAntennaBook3rdEditionFigure-1219.jpg

Figure - 1219 Caption said:
Some suggested forms of counterpoise. Perfectsymmetry is not essential, but it is desireable to extend the counterpoise as nearly as possible for the same distance in each direction from the antenna.

This is in my opinion the best description of what a counterpoise is (or at least was at the time this book was written) that I have come across. It is packed with information, including but not limited to:

It is a form of capacity ground.
It is beneficial when an extensive ground system is not practicle.
It is beneficial in rocky or sandy soil where it will not be easy to lay out a buried ground system.
The bigger it is the better.
The shape does not matter.
The number of wires is not critical.
Cross connected wires are allowed (and recommended).
No benefit in extending the radius past ½λ.
No relationship is necessary between the λ and the length of the wires.
The intention is to have the counterpoise act as a pure capacity rather than having pure resonance effects.
More wires are better, minimum number of wires depends on the size and frequency of the counterpoise.
It is a good plan to design the wire layout to minimize resonance.
It is a good idea to raise a counterpoise above (earth) ground as if it is to close it will have more losses.

I also want to point out that this is in the 160 meters section of the book, which is dealing with antennas that have to, by necessity, be very large because of their much lower frequencies. A shortened quarter wave 160 meter antenna that was shortened to the equivalent of a 3 foot cb antenna would still be longer than a 5/8 wave cb antenna.

Not picking on anyone but just the first few quotes I found doing a search on this forum.

His idea suggests to me that the EFHW only requires about .05 wavelength of counterpoise current return path for effectively radiating an end fed 1/2 wave wire, and that adding a radial makes little noticeable difference. Maybe this is what Solarcon accomplishes in their A99 and Imax.

Found this in your "Marconi comparing New Top One vs. Old Top One" thread. The antennas in question are rarely close enough to the earth that their radials would act as as a capacity with the earth below. The maximum effective height for a counterpoise at cb frequencies which I believe is around two feet off of the ground. As you go above that the shear size that would be required at the frequencies used would make it more of an artificial ground plane, not a capacity with the earth below. Also, the direct connection of a ground wire to a ground rod would also nullify any chance of it being a counterpoise (not specifically stated in the quote, but a commonly used setup for these types of antennas I think). I have read nothing anywhere that specifically states that a counterpoise has to have horizontal wires, however, I feel the angled radials of these antennas, even if they were close enough to the earth to have a capacity with the earth, would be far less than an optimal setup to have a capacitance with the earth.

if the mast gives additional gain to the horizon could that be a indication of less than ideal counterpoise? As that seems to do the same.

And the reply.

Henry brings up an interesting point regarding the possibility of the mast benefiting as the result of a less then ideal counterpoise.

These quotes are from within the "New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master" thread. They are referring to an elevated radial system (or perhaps the lack thereof) and the effects of the mast below. This misuse of the term is within the limits of a category that is by far the most commonly used today. If the term would find itself having a new definition for the current era of antennas this is close to what I think it would be. However, there are other examples. Being an antenna on a mast, any radials would be far to far above the earth to have a capacity with it, and thus it does not match up with aforementioned source/definition.

From youtube:

Video 1

This is by far the second most common misuse of the term. One common misconception of a counterpoise being anything connected to the shield of the coax, which is not necessarily the case. This also assumes that coax will be in use, however, the term counterpoise, as it is referred to with antennas, predates the existence of coax feed lines.

Video 2

This is the third category, and is far less common than the other two mentioned above. All they are doing here is increasing the conductivity of the earth below a horizontal antenna. They also call it a ground plane later in the video which is also technically incorrect (as my understanding of the term "ground plane" would apply). I am not saying this can't be an effective option/upgrade for people with horizontal antennas, but it is not a counterpoise.

Does this help Marconi?

The DB

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks DB.

I'm still not sure I fully understand the neuances well enough, but this is very interesting stuff, and it may turn out to be far more informative than the typical agruments I've heard in the past. I can admit that I no doubt have used the word casually without fully understanding the full meaning.

I'll be checking your post here, over and over again, for sure.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.