• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does Wouxun KG-UV950P do 10m to 2m Crossband function??

MrClean

Mar 11, 2016
PA
Does the Wouxun KG-UV950P crossband repeat function work with 10m to 2m crossbanding??

I read the unit will do VHF/UHF crossbanding, but wondered has anyone tried to do 10m and 2m crossband on it??

it will repeat anything FM from VFO A to VFO B, as long as they are set to different bands....

Yes, that even includes 27 MHz stuff too:rolleyes:.

that being said, it even gets terrible reviews on E-Ham (one of the few items to do so.)

I have the dual band model (not the 4 band model) and I find that the crossband feature works well.... to a point...if you are just using it for local stuff...say hiking and using it with an HT for a local repeater it does fine...
but if you plan on using it for a linked repeater with a net... it will not hang in there...the duty cycle is too short and the radio overheats and shuts down...
I wanted to use it in my office so I could do the win system nets while walking out to my warehouse.. wound up taking it out and putting in an Icom 2730A that hangs in there for all the nets all day... with no overheating issues...I even added an extra external fan on the wouxun and it still would not hang in there.

Does the Wouxun KG-UV950P crossband repeat function work with 10m to 2m crossbanding??

I read the unit will do VHF/UHF crossbanding, but wondered has anyone tried to do 10m and 2m crossband on it??

Think about it from a RF standpoint.
To cross band 2 meters FM - about a 40 inch antenna to 10 meters about a 8'6 inch antenna, you would need two separate antennas and a combiner.

You would have to use a simplex FM frequency, and you would either need a control operator at the control point, or you would need a controller and a link radio - more than 220 Mhz frequency, that was coordinated by your local repeater council, or you would need a private line telephone with a phone patch set up that would be designed to shut off the link if it malfunctioned, with a unlisted telephone number that couldn't be accidentally rung up by telemarketers, friends calling to talk to you, or other club members - that just happens to know your phone number.

I'm not quite sure about the legality of people with a Technician Class License using 2 meters, being cross banded to 10 meters, especially if they did not know that they were being cross banded. The rules says that you must have the permission of everyone on the frequency to do so.

Again, someone could access your link and get into it and cause trouble and you would be held accountable, not them, since it was your station causing the trouble.

Since 10 meters is only sporadically open, for short periods of time, and unpredictable to where it opens to, why would you want to bother doing something like this when there is no benefit to doing it.

D-Star, System Fusion, The WAN, All Star, and a dozen other VOIP services can do essentially the same thing via a linked repeater, using the internet and no hassles.

...You would have to use a simplex FM frequency, and you would either need a control operator at the control point, or you would need a controller and a link radio...a frequency, that was coordinated by your local repeater council,

... or you would need a private line telephone with a phone patch set up that would be designed to shut off the link if it malfunctioned, with a unlisted telephone number that couldn't be accidentally rung up by telemarketers, friends calling to talk to you, or other club members - that just happens to know your phone number..

err,... there is no requirement for a control operator to be present at a repeater control point. repeaters can legally operate under Automatic Control.

just HOW can you shut off a repeater by using a phone patch???

...I'm not quite sure about the legality of people with a Technician Class License using 2 meters, being cross banded to 10 meters,.... ....

Perfectly legal for the Tech licensee.

.... The rules says that you must have the permission of everyone on the frequency to do so...

D-Star, System fusion, The WAN, All Star, and a dozen other VOIP services can do essentially the same thing via a linked repeater, using the internet and no hassles.

Really? Why don't you need the permission of EVERYONE ON FREQUENCY when you use D-Star/VOIP/ect?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.