• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DOSY Meter Movement, Respond To Ohmmeter?

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Hep meh out fellas (y)

Looking at a Dosy for a friend. DOA. No meter movement in any function. Insides look good. Open design with easy adjustments. Nothing burned or loose. The 5 or 6 diodes on the board tested all good. I took one wire off the meter terminal to check ? the meter itself. This was just a guess though...that you'll even get a reading across a meter of this type with an ohmmeter? Anyway this one is showing open.

I don't have any other meter movement around that I can test so....should you get some kind of resistance reading across a meter? If so, about what should you see? 10, 100,1,000,10,000, 1 mil. ohm?

TNX for any help
interview.gif

Last edited:

Hep meh out fellas (y)

Looking at a Dosy for a friend. DOA. No meter movement in any function. Insides look good. Open design with easy adjustments. Nothing burned or loose. The 5 or 6 diodes on the board tested all good. I took one wire off the meter terminal to check ? the meter itself. This was just a guess though...that you'll even get a reading across a meter of this type with an ohmmeter? Anyway this one is showing open.

I don't have any other meter movement around that I can test so....should you get some kind of resistance reading across a meter? If so, about what should you see? 10, 100,1,000,10,000, 1 mil. ohm?

TNX for any help
interview.gif

If you're measuring directly across the meter terminals with an ohmmeter, you should briefly see some resistance before the current supplied by the ohmmeter burns out the coil. This is easily done on the Rx1 and Rx10 scales of most analog VOMs.

How much actual resistance should you see? I'd need more information on the meter itself. Can you post all of the data from the front of the meter face? There might be some useful stuff on the back of the meter case as well.

Then it would help me help you if you told me what sort of meter you're using for troubleshooting.

If you're measuring directly across the meter terminals with an ohmmeter, you should briefly see some resistance before the current supplied by the ohmmeter burns out the coil.

ouch

If that's the case, you might also have seen the needle swing full scale and slam into the stop, and might have heard a slight tick noise too...if the ohmmeter was forward biased...

Using your ohm meter function the meter should deflect in one direction when you touch it with the test leads and when you reverse the leads it should deflect in the opposite direction. If it does not the meter movement itself is bad.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.