• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dr. Dipole

357magnum

Feb 25, 2014
Coventry RI
I know Ham operators have been using wire antenna's since the beginning . Has anyone ever bought one of these an used it for DX ? I getting to old to wrestle with a beam an I have plenty of tree's an I'm located in one of the highest parts of my state . Can I run two so I can cover both directions ? Can they criss cross as long as they don't touch ?

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

I know Ham operators have been using wire antenna's since the beginning . Has anyone ever bought one of these an used it for DX ? I getting to old to wrestle with a beam an I have plenty of tree's an I'm located in one of the highest parts of my state . Can I run two so I can cover both directions ? Can they criss cross as long as they don't touch ?

Yes you can criss cross them.What is a Dr. Dipole?

Dr. Dipole is just a company name. He sells them for $21.95 less balun I saw them on eBay , I do now I can make one but for me ts easier to purchase one Image seen them as low as $10,on there by other manufacturers an thanks for the reply how far should they be apart ? Just if I decide to run two .

you would probably be ok with one and setting it up as a sloper. any dipole will need to be high, usually 36-51+ feet at the feedpoint. i would probably buy a better one sp they don't stretch and break like most of the wire and small coax ones do.

have you ever considered a moxon antenna? similar gain to a 2 element beam (almost 3 ele) and better rejection. super light and easy to make and a 40 dollar rotator will turn it no problems. if its mounted to the house tou can just leave a pair of vice grips or pipe wrench and have it an armstrong rotator.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm off to research Moxon that's all I have heard about the last few days.lol I have the rotor an box already was just trying to keep it simple because of my moon raker 7 an pdl 2 in the past wind always raised havoc with them no matter how well they were secured.

moxons are good antennas, mfj makes a 10m version that cbradiomag reviewed, little spendy at 80 bucks but it doesn't anger the neighbors much. the advantage ti a mox is its rejection. it will have the same gain as a 2 element yagi but much better rejection. it however is mono banded so if your looking for something multibanded like i would its not a good idea.

Dipoles are probably the most common antennas around. Several reasons for that, mainly cuz' they're cheap, and simple. I honestly don't know of any who have them at 'optimum' height, so that's not really a super biggy. If you don't 'clothes-line' yourself, it's probably high enough to 'work'. Not 'well', but it'll certainly work.
Dipoles are not all that 'picky' about their shape, sort of. If you don't bend them back onto them selves, they can be made to work. Making them longer than necessary to start with aids in tuning them. It's much easier to fold those legs back onto them selves tha to add to them cuz' they're too short. That 468 'magic' number will certainly getr you into the 'ball-park' then it's up to you to do the fine tuning, you know? That's about as simple as it can get. (And they are cheap0! :))
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated