• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Drive watts for a thunderbolt 101?

preacherman said:
What kind of drive wattage (both key and pep) should I be using with a Thunderbolt 101 sweep tube amp? Is 3 watts swinging to 18-20 too much to put into it?
tnx,
preacherman

Run your peaked up radio into the amp.

Tune for max meter swing to the right.

Whatever that value is, divide it by 5

That's the number you want for your carrier wattage output.

I say it this way because their is no way to know if you have an accurate meter or if your tubes are any good. This is the basic method of tuning ANY GG linear for CB usage.

Also, I would keep my carrier during this process as low as possible. This keeps the parasitic load down on the xformer and allows for a meaningful PEP measurement under fully modulated conditions.

--Toll_Free

Toll_Free said:
Run your peaked up radio into the amp.

Tune for max meter swing to the right.

Whatever that value is, divide it by 5

That's the number you want for your carrier wattage output.

I say it this way because their is no way to know if you have an accurate meter or if your tubes are any good. This is the basic method of tuning ANY GG linear for CB usage.

Also, I would keep my carrier during this process as low as possible. This keeps the parasitic load down on the xformer and allows for a meaningful PEP measurement under fully modulated conditions.

--Toll_Free

:D Can you make that a little more clearer? :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.