• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dual band

The Yaesu FT-8900 has 10m/6m/2m/440 in a mobile package. It's about $400, though. You could step up to a Yaesu 857d and get all the HF bands for about $300 more. As mentioned, there's always the Icom 706, 7000 and Kenwood TS-480.

For Tec it's 28.3 mhz to 28.5 mhz SR385 thats part of the 10 meters .
The Ft8900 is FM only, Techs are ssb,cw, and digital only on 10. I agree on the IC 706, gives all of HF for when you upgrade. IC 746 is another good choice too.
Rich

As you can see from the above, there are no radios made particularly for Techs. Just another good reason to up-grade. There's just too much you'll miss out on if you don't!
- 'Doc

thank you everyone for the replies. gonna get the tech under my belt first to get into the world of hams, then gonna start studying for the general immediately after. that icom 706 looks sweet!!!!! thats my pick, i have limited funds but in the aspect of quality time is irrelevant and in this case, time is money.

When you take your tech. go ahead and try the general, it will give you an idea of some of the questions. I have an icom 706mIIg, great little rig. Mobile hf wasnt my thing so I put it back in the house for a dedicated 6meter rig and back up hf/vhf.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.