• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual final mod on a DX959? Thoughts?

Absolutely worth it!
Looks to be an hour of work or less, and with the new regulator and audio driver suggested earler will do even more.
Who wouldn't want to kick their amp with 50W of PEP instead of 15?
And with just an hours work that will kick that amp for years to come?
Just install the 2 switch freq mod and save yourself buying a 99V. Oh yeah.

Seems a no brainer to me.

;)

LOL.......yea yea.....that's a no brainer for sure. LOLOLOL

I had R&R add a second final and comp tune to my DX919 as I didn't want to run an amp either. The radio is loud, clear, and covers some distance. The only difference is the heat-sync on the back. Pricier than a small amp, but is exactly what I wanted.

Based on what everyone recommended, it was better to spend my money on a new radio made to do 100 watts than try to get a type-accepted radio to do 100 watts. I ended up spending the $$ on a General HP40W, and have zero regrets.

I really don't think the DX959 is that great a radio, that's why I was hesitant to modify it in the first place.

Should be a great performer on AM. To compare the two is kinda apples to oranges though since the 959 is a SSB radio. I am not a big Galaxy 959 fan, that General will have boat loads of Audio.

In my case, I was more concerned about AM than SSB. SSB in a mobile is pretty much a waste of time anyway, unless you plan to sit somewhere; trying to make contacts while adjusting the clarifier and driving in and out of conditions is almost as bad as texting and driving. But I agree, apples to oranges...if you consider the 959 to be a "good" SSB radio.

The only real reason I considered modding the 959 was bbecause I already possessed it. I have had the General for about six months, it does everything I need it to do.

The CRE-8900 don't drift and is great for SSB but I use my DTB tuned 959 when I want to be heard. After conditions got quiet there were people 50 miles away that I and a local talked to. My 959 is mobile with a Sirio Performer PL5000 and keying 4 watts

In my case, I was more concerned about AM than SSB. SSB in a mobile is pretty much a waste of time anyway, unless you plan to sit somewhere; trying to make contacts while adjusting the clarifier and driving in and out of conditions is almost as bad as texting and driving. But I agree, apples to oranges...if you consider the 959 to be a "good" SSB radio.

The only real reason I considered modding the 959 was bbecause I already possessed it. I have had the General for about six months, it does everything I need it to do.

i agree the general is a much better am radio. however the general is a dual final radio
so it already has a advantge. however i disagree ssb in a mobile is great ya can get
out better on ssb ,ssb is a more effience mode than am ever will be. if ya get a properly
tuned ssb rig you wont have to play with the clarifer and IF you do it never should be more
than just a slight movement. ive enjoyed ssb in my mobile way more than am over the years

i agree the general is a much better am radio. however the general is a dual final radio
so it already has a advantge.

The HP40 is a four mosfet radio...four IFR520s IIRC.

Again, for me trying to run SSB; it never worked unless I was sitting somewhere...you drive in and out of the conditions too fast to make quality contacts. About the most you get is your numbers called and splat.

Not to mention that most OTR drivers don't have SSB...so for short contacts over the road, its not useful.

See that's my problem...I have several good radios, but nothing that should be cut up for this other than the PC78 and the DX959 (they are expendable to me). And I just don't want the install of an external amp this time around...my PC76 and 1x4 were a well matched set in the last truck, but again; I don't know if this new truck would take the RFI.

That's the reason I was thinking about the dual final mod for the 959, but I knew very little about it. Now I am seeing that's not a real option, from either a performance standpoint, or a performance/$$ standpoint. I've never been a fan of this 959...never really thought it sounded that good; so maybe this will inspire me to buy another radio.

I was looking at the RFX-75, but it was my understanding they are dirty? That's the reason I hadn't really considered one.

I wish they just made a straight AM dual final radio; without the extra channels...sort of like a no bells, no whistles Connex 3300HP in a Uniden PC76 chassic. I don't need (or want) all that extra BS that most exports have...give me a standard meter, volume, squelch, RF Gain, mic Gain, echo, 40 AM channels, and call it a day.

What truck are you installing this in? I have a 2008 Sierra Z71 and have run 500 watts through my wilson 1000 using a palomar FET450LD being fed by my HR2510 with no ill issues........Now I just sold that combo last week for $220 Canadian (miss the 2510 already) anyways I found a Palomar Magnum 6500R new in the box never fired up for $200, so will be up to the 6-700 watt range so will see how it goes...dont think it will be a problem running a small amp in your truck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.