• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dummy load fluid

BJradionut posted the good dummy load to buy.

I bought the can from MFJ and I bought a gallon jug of mineral oil locally which saves money on oil and shipping. Works great!

Reactions: Redbeard U812
For a dummy load, what are you expecting to gain with a more expensive oil?

Better cooling and more time using the unit. I like to make things last as long as possible if possible. I see MFJ no longer sells the 115-1500a resistors. Is there a substitute?

I have an MFJ can and I just use peanut oil in it. I’m sure it might last longer with something better...but at the end of the day its such a minimal investment. When it rots out I’ll buy a new one.

Might use oil out of the turkey fryer next time, just so I can enjoy the aroma.

I managed to get almost five gallons of silicon based transformer oil specifically designed for dummy loads and sold by Dielectric Corp. We had a 5Kw load that burned up the connector so we trashed it and bought a bigger one. I salvaged the oil from it. Now if I could only remember which jug has the mineral oil in it and which one has the load oil. I have two jugs in the basement and can't remember which is which. (n)

I managed to get almost five gallons of silicon based transformer oil specifically designed for dummy loads and sold by Dielectric Corp. We had a 5Kw load that burned up the connector so we trashed it and bought a bigger one. I salvaged the oil from it. Now if I could only remember which jug has the mineral oil in it and which one has the load oil. I have two jugs in the basement and can't remember which is which. (n)
Taste?:sick:

Reactions: Tokin
Mineral oil was used in everything imaginable shock absorbers, Dash pots on car engines, and types of motorcycle shock and steering dampers.
Now you will find it in food and candies.

I had thought about that but would need mineral oil to compare it too since I have no idea what it tastes like. LOL The second thing might be a problem however and that is the fact that while mineral oil is safe to ingest I am not so sure about silicone based oil. I should look up the specific gravity of each and that might be the way to go. I just thought of that, (n)(y)

Reactions: Tokin
I had thought about that but would need mineral oil to compare it too since I have no idea what it tastes like. LOL The second thing might be a problem however and that is the fact that while mineral oil is safe to ingest I am not so sure about silicone based oil. I should look up the specific gravity of each and that might be the way to go. I just thought of that, (n)(y)

Ill leave this here..

We PM'd a Transformer at a MCC for a Low Sulfur Unit, that thing must have not been changed in years, not surprising, that plant was notorious for fires. But I remember a burnt smell, acidic maybe, like when the stator in my Harley goes bad....burned cigar smell.

We PM'd a Transformer at a MCC for a Low Sulfur Unit, that thing must have not been changed in years, not surprising, that plant was notorious for fires. But I remember a burnt smell, acidic maybe, like when the stator in my Harley goes bad....burned cigar smell.

Yeah this oil was not contaminated just the connector on the load got fried. New loads are shipped with oil to fill it so when we scrapped the old load the oil was redundant.

Reactions: Redbeard U812

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.