• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dummy load oil

wavrider

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 2, 2009
I finally got around to unpacking the extra Heath kit oil filled dummy load.

Of course I emptied it before I packed it so now off to the local drug store I go to get a gallon of mineral oil.

The price is $8.99 a quart.

With me being so cheap I thought well let's look for an alternate source of coolant.

So the question is Are there any other types of coolant fluids that will work in an oil filled dummy load besides mineral oil? and of course is not as expensive as mineral oil.

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! :censored: I deleted the wrong thread after merging the posts. :headbang Both had the same title and initial post so it was easy to do.

Sorry guys. Basically the answers were to ask the local power utility if you can get some transformer oil. Tell them why and you may get a gallon or so for free.

I bought mineral oil for my rebuilt cantenna at walmart in smaller (pint) bottles and I think it may have cost around$10 for the gallon. Been a while but I'm sure the price is close.

Wally world or a dollar store will probably be cheaper that a "drug" store.

You could always hit your friends and family up for some...Tell 'em your plugged up real bad and got the grip.

I remember getting that as a kid. nasty ass stuff.

Reactions: 1 person

You could always hit your friends and family up for some...Tell 'em your plugged up real bad and got the grip.

And the stuff I got a Wally World is baby powder scented. Your cantenna doubles as an air freshener.

Grandma used to line all of us kids up and we would get a teaspoon of Cod Liver oil. That stuff is nasty.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions I will look into finding the local electric company and see if they have any, and maybe a pole pig or two laying around.:D

If that don't work off to wally world.

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! :censored: I deleted the wrong thread after merging the posts. :headbang Both had the same title and initial post so it was easy to do.

Sorry guys. Basically the answers were to ask the local power utility if you can get some transformer oil. Tell them why and you may get a gallon or so for free.

Isn't that just denatured mineral oil ?

shoulda gave you cod liver oil.

Watched an episode of how it's made the other night about building transformers and they just used denatured mineral oil.

They were 25 kv transformers.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.