• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dx-440 Realistic from 1990 RCA antenna connection

Drwho41963

May 7, 2019
I have not used this radio for a few years. Now I want to get back to listening and would like to connect an external antenna. The DX-440 has a RCA connection for the external antenna. So this is what II'm thinking about setting up.
Going to cut 65 feet of 24 gauge speaker cable. Going to pull apart so I have 25 feet on each side that would make a V. I would have 15 feet remaining and attach the end to MFJ 1702c - https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-001006
Then I would attach a a PL259 adapter to RCA and use a RCA cable to connect to the back of my radio.

So, I have 2 questions 1) What is the best way to connect the speaker wire to the MFJ 1702c that has a PL259 connection.2) Is it okay to use the RCA cable from MFJ 1702c to the radio with the adapter?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

im not sure i understand why you need the antenna switch.

your easiest solution is to buy a 50 foot roll of speaker wire and a male RCA plug, and just solder the wires to the plug.

then separate the speaker wires from eachother and hang them up as a horizontal dipole antenna.

this is just a receiver, and one with an easily overdriven front end at that, so really, just sticking a 20 foot piece of wire in the center of that RCA plug will work just about as well as anything you do.

while these receivers came with external antenna jacks on them, they were never really designed to be used with an outdoor antenna, and trying to use them with one can actually over power the front end amplifier and you will just hear a garbled mess.

before you spend any money, try the 20 feet of wire stuck in the RCA jack idea and see if that over powers your receive. you may find out that you need to use something shorter.
LC

I have a spool of 24 gauge speaker wire. So I should cut 50 feet and peel the cable apart and attach the ends to the rca plug right? Or would 50 feet be to much?

the way i would look at it is that you can always make a wire shorter, so start with the length you have, and if it seems like you cant tune in any stations, or if some close by AM broadcast station is taking over all your frequencies, then try cutting off 10 feet or so.

the real truth is that it probably won't matter much.
That receiver is what it is, and having a perfectly tuned delta loop antenna or a wet spaghetti noodle isn't going to change it.

enjoy that radio for what it is, and if you find that you aren't able to tune in the things you want to listen to, then it's time to look at a real shortwave receiver or a ham radio.
LC

the way i would look at it is that you can always make a wire shorter, so start with the length you have, and if it seems like you cant tune in any stations, or if some close by AM broadcast station is taking over all your frequencies, then try cutting off 10 feet or so.

That receiver is what it is, and having a perfectly tuned delta loop antenna or a wet spaghetti noodle isn't going to change it.

enjoy that radio for what it is, and if you find that you aren't able to tune in the things you want to listen to, then it's time to look at a real shortwave receiver or a ham radio.
LC

LC
So what short wave radio would you recommend. I would like to stay under 200.00. I would like it to have as, San, lw, me, air and maybe emergency but emergency not vital.

$200 puts you in the used category of communications receivers. Around $400 gets you to some new things like this Alinco receiver.
https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/0084.html
0084.jpg

Emergency stuff like police and fire requires a different animal, a scanner radio. A lot of it is digital now so scanners can be rather expensive. It's not digital here so I use a Bearcat BCT15X for scanning things such as CB radio, 2 meter and 440 ham radio, all local police and fire, Marine VHF, the local airports and a bunch of other stuff if I want. A bit less than $200 but it does have a steep learning curve to use and program.
0015.jpg

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/0015.html

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.