• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX-959 USB/LSB TX freq Adj

dxbarefoot

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 31, 2011
Central Iowa
Greetings to the forum...

I have acquired a Galaxy DX-959 and have found that the USB/LSB TX freq is not tracking properly. I have performed the freq adjustments so they sound good using a RCI2950DX & DX70TH as monitoring stations & can make contacts once adjustments are complete. When the 959 is in RX mode for an extended period of time (30+ min), the TX drifts and sounds like it needs re-adjustment. I have not seen issue with the AM mode.

I understand these radio's drift some, but how long should I have this on the bench to stabilize before making adjustments?

Many folks seem to like this radio per the reviews however my FT101B doesn't appear drift this much.

First of all, before adjusting the radio freq it should be allowed to get stable AFTER 30 minutes of warm-up time. That is how I do any Galaxy/Ranger alignment BTW.

You should also allow the same amount of time for your test equipment/freq counter to stabilize as well. Even though it has a TCXO (thermally controlled crystal oscillator) for stability, if you've read the instruction sheet they will tell you to still give it time to warm up.

After adjusting the first osc cans - after the radio had plenty of time to stabilize first - the transmit freq will need to be adjusted as well at VR7.

Galaxy Radios DX959 Service Manual - Service Manual
Galaxy Radios DX959 Service Manual - Location chart

AFTER 30 min of warm-up time:
1) Remove the mirrored bias board from the back of the radio that connects TP7, 8, & 9
2) Connect the freq counter '+' test clip to TP3 and the '-' test clip to the circuit ground (NOT chassis ground)
3) Set the radio to LSB mode/Ch 20
4) Turn the mic gain all of the way down and use a non-power mic; key the mic/TX
5) Turn VR7 until it matches exactly to the same TX freq as the freq counter reads when the mic is unkeyed/when receiving RX; repeat until they match
6) Replace the mirrored bias board.
Done

Last edited:
Greetings to the forum...

I have acquired a Galaxy DX-959 and have found that the USB/LSB TX freq is not tracking properly. I have performed the freq adjustments so they sound good using a RCI2950DX & DX70TH as monitoring stations & can make contacts once adjustments are complete. When the 959 is in RX mode for an extended period of time (30+ min), the TX drifts and sounds like it needs re-adjustment. I have not seen issue with the AM mode.

I understand these radio's drift some, but how long should I have this on the bench to stabilize before making adjustments?

Many folks seem to like this radio per the reviews however my FT101B doesn't appear drift this much.

if it levels out in 30 minutes as you said then that is the time to do it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated