• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX400 no transmit.. no preamp

Anytime you buy a used TS amp you should pull the cover and look at the chokes that Shockwave is talking about.
If they look discolored in any way, replace them.
If they get overheated and change value/short, it is a problem.
This is a issue that all of these amps have because of the way they are designed.
If in they had spent a few bucks more this could be avoided, but......
It is what it is.
Jeff
Ill check them out again, but i didn't see anything notable. This amp looks like it was never used or they were easy on it. Picked it and a superstar 200 for $100. Its not actually a TS but a copycat. Pretty close too. It works awesome though.

Well.. This is dumb. Figured out the issue.. I think. So I noticed that the bench radio didnt have very strong receive. Normal people I talk to were pushing half what they normally do on the meter. Checked all my jumpers, no issue. Checked my SWR with my antenna hooked right in, it was sky high. Oops. It has been the same the last few years, I guess the wind storm we had did something to it last night.

So I took the box out to the truck and hooked it up with 2ga jumper cables and a good jumper just to test it out. BAM! Working great. Keys every time and its all working normal..

How dumb.. Thanks all.

Glad you got it working. I had an SWR issue the other day and ignored all the warning signs until the radio shut off a couple times.

Does he preamp work?

Last edited:
High VSWR places stress on the output components, not the keying circuit and diode. Unless the amplifier is oscillating...

Reactions: 2NC995
Does it say Outcom on the front?

Jeff
Nope. It might be an old school TS, but doesnt say it anywhere. Says Bi lateral DX400.

Glad you got it working. I had an SWR issue the other day and ignored all the warning signs until the radio shut off a couple times.

Does he preamp work?
Yeah its working great.

High VSWR places stress on the output components, not the keying circuit and diode. Unless the amplifier is oscillating...
Maybe, not sure. But its working great in the mobile. Maybe im having issues with grounding.. Some weird stuff has been happening at my office with power supplys and what not.

It is not a knock off.
The name of the models has changed a bit but the Bi Lateral 400 is a older Texas star model.
Yes on lucky.
Non red dot Toshiba 2879 transistors are hundreds of dollars now.
Jeff

Reactions: 2NC995
It is not a knock off.
The name of the models has changed a bit but the Bi Lateral 400 is a older Texas star model.
Yes on lucky.
Non red dot Toshiba 2879 transistors are hundreds of dollars now.
Jeff
Thanks. Now i know.. Gues its real. Haha.

I haven't looked recently. We have a handfull of Toshiba pills sitting here.. Maybe ill off a couple for a few extra bucks.. Hm. Orrr stash them haha.

I got this "Texas Star" and a Super Star 250 for a good deal. The 250 had a bad pill. Ended up throwing some Toshiba 2879s that were laying around in it. Works great now.

You can't just swap 2879's in there like that, several areas of the amplifier will need to be re-worked. Best bet is to replace the finals with the same finals if you can find them.

Reactions: Ranch55 and 2NC995

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.