• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX500 blown trace...

2NC995

DAN
Feb 23, 2008
Coastal NC
Sometimes just as you've got everything figured out.

I have my fan connected to a 1/8 mono jack, which is supplied ~12V from the power switch on my DX500. Works the trick and turns on / off with the main power. Perfect...almost.

Hindsight is an incredible thing, and I now know not to unplug the fan while its on...because if you do you create a direct short, and even though momentary, it's enough current to pop a trace like dandy little fuse.

The smallest portion of the + supply to the power switch isn't exactly in a convenient location, either. Directly under the switches on the front board. Ughhh.

I'll probably end up cleaning out the sliver of a trace with an exacto knife (I *think* I can get in there) and jumper a new supply over to the switch, even though it feels kind of half-assed.

Capture4.PNG

Maybe just put a jumper wire across any convenient place along the trace? It doesn't have to be right at the bad spot.

Yep. Unfortunately, addressing the trace directly would require a full disassembly; including removal of the boards and removal of all the switches...suffice to say, I ain't doin' all that.

So long as I can remove the burnt and lifted trace (to prevent additional problems) I'll just jumper from the main positive trace on that board over to the switch.

I actually hate doing things that way...but I've finally arrived at the point in this hobby where I like using my stuff more than working on it!

Sometimes just as you've got everything figured out.

I have my fan connected to a 1/8 mono jack, which is supplied ~12V from the power switch on my DX500. Works the trick and turns on / off with the main power. Perfect...almost.

Hindsight is an incredible thing, and I now know not to unplug the fan while its on...because if you do you create a direct short, and even though momentary, it's enough current to pop a trace like dandy little fuse.

The smallest portion of the + supply to the power switch isn't exactly in a convenient location, either. Directly under the switches on the front board. Ughhh.

I'll probably end up cleaning out the sliver of a trace with an exacto knife (I *think* I can get in there) and jumper a new supply over to the switch, even though it feels kind of half-assed.

View attachment 36003

Yep, I have repaired a few of those traces also.

All patched up and running. I was able to cut the trace at the connection to the preamp switch and remove the sliver without disassembly.

Then I ran a new wire from the pos supply on the front board, behind the panel, and lap soldered to the trace supplying power to the main switch.

Not perfect, but it’s working.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.