• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX500V L1 choke smoking

Looking at the photo, it "looks that maybe", someone has been into this amplifier before. I see a couple of things that I haven't seen before on a brand new, straight from manufacturer on the board.
Just saying, I haven't seen them before, but could have still been done there.
It could be a any of a number of things. The DEI transistors are usually the #1 culprit and the first thing to discard.
It could also be a solder drip under the board like I just recently found with another brand new DX 500V amp that I repaired for a good friend of mine.
As far as the blown trace under the switches, I have seen that numerous times.
And yes, the folks at Galaxy will generally help you.
Just find the info on their website to get a RA number and ship it to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 144inBama
Well.... We'll see if I have a clue...or a 5 alarm fire... LOL

Attachments

• 20200503_183122.jpg
    20200503_183122.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200503_183306.jpg
    20200503_183306.jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 27
Looking at the photo, it "looks that maybe", someone has been into this amplifier before. I see a couple of things that I haven't seen before on a brand new, straight from manufacturer on the board.
Just saying, I haven't seen them before, but could have still been done there.
It could be a any of a number of things. The DEI transistors are usually the #1 culprit and the first thing to discard.
It could also be a solder drip under the board like I just recently found with another brand new DX 500V amp that I repaired for a good friend of mine.
As far as the blown trace under the switches, I have seen that numerous times.
And yes, the folks at Galaxy will generally help you.
Just find the info on their website to get a RA number and ship it to them.

It was "converted" by the seller on eBay so there was at least one person in there...I have no idea what to look at on the conversation side of things...so I couldn't tell you squat if my life depended on it.

Update.... Powers on and keys
With meter behind the amp:
Power off: the SWRs are around 2.25ish
Power on: SWRs around 3.
Preamp on SWRs around 4+
Leaving the preamp on and turning the dial a watt on the SWRs drop to 1.3 it doesn't matter where the variable is set, it stays 1.3
Turning the Delay on makes no difference other than it actually works.
*The meter on the radio closely matches the meter readings in all steps.*
ZERO power output, it's actually putting out less than the radio alone. I find it hard to believe that I smoked the transistors, even though they're DEIs, mainly because the (smell) isn't/wasn't there.
Anyway... That's where I'm at right now.

The winds may have opened - just see if you can make the continuity check - from relay "bad spot" to output winds and see if you have an open trace there too...relay contacts can also "open" preventing power going to the combo wind back there so the transistors just sit pretty looking back at you...

Reactions: 144inBama
One, hope you get it fixed. Two, if you do boot that thing down the road and buy a custom made box. Texa star's prime days are over. Every one i have got in the past 6 yrs have been horrible. High input swr, suuuper cheap Chinese components, etc.
My brand new 1600 had a transistor fail in two months Pshh, im done

One, hope you get it fixed. Two, if you do boot that thing down the road and buy a custom made box. Texa star's prime days are over. Every one i have got in the past 6 yrs have been horrible. High input swr, suuuper cheap Chinese components, etc.
My brand new 1600 had a transistor fail in two months Pshh, im done

I honestly don't want to trash it yet....I JUST got it and have only talked on it twice... But you can bet your antenna I'll NEVER buy another one.

Last texas star I purchased and was pleased with was around 2006... Purchased a DX500 in 2016 and all around garbage, super cheap switch bank was the first thing I noticed getting out of the box. Once opened up the lack of quality was pretty evident, on the air was not pleasing in any way. Sent it down the road a few days later.... Never again

Talked to John at Galaxy/TS a little while ago. Very friendly guy. He acted genuinely disappointed that I was having the issues. Going to send it in to them and have them look at/fix it. I told him that if it was something the seller I bought it from did that I'd pay for it no problem. Hopefully the pills are still good. If not, I'm not sure if I want them to replace them or get some HGs. Sadly, I only have 2 Toshiba 2879s that are in my old Train built 2 pill or I'd have them put it.
Thanks for all the help and replies, they were very helpful.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.