• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX500V L1 choke smoking

Received a call from Texas Star a few minutes ago.... Said it's looking like about 8 weeks before they get to it.... So it looks like I'm going to buy a custom box and either sell the DX500V or just put it in the attic when I get it back.

Received a call from Texas Star a few minutes ago.... Said it's looking like about 8 weeks before they get to it.... So it looks like I'm going to buy a custom box and either sell the DX500V or just put it in the attic when I get it back.

Dang. Terrible to hear. have 3...an older 350, and newer 500 and 1600. I can’t really complain about any of them...they’ve been great.

Dang. Terrible to hear. have 3...an older 350, and newer 500 and 1600. I can’t really complain about any of them...they’ve been great.

I was wanting to like it, it was my first “factory” box. When it comes back it may be the best amp I’ve ever owned, but I’m gun shy as hell about it now and worried that there’s another issue that will pop up. I have the variable power in now so I may try it once just to make sure it works. I’m just scared to really run it. Especially with a min 8 week lead time for repairs.

I was wanting to like it, it was my first “factory” box. When it comes back it may be the best amp I’ve ever owned, but I’m gun shy as hell about it now and worried that there’s another issue that will pop up. I have the variable power in now so I may try it once just to make sure it works. I’m just scared to really run it. Especially with a min 8 week lead time for repairs.

I don’t blame you.

Also, thinking after my posting I’m reminded my 500 wasn’t all roses.

My preamp didn’t work out of the box (needed a transistor replacement), nor did the meter and light work, except intermittently. I never did anything with the meter as in a mobile I can’t see it anyway. Then, after a few months I blew a trace on the front board. I initially thought was my fault and now I wonder as it seems very common.

Performance wise I’m happy. But there was definitely some QC issues IMO. And I baby the little bugger. So many folks recommend running 30-40 or more watts input and I run at 1/3 of that. Makes me wonder how I’d feel if I ran 40 in.

Your better off finding a clean older Texas Star with Toshiba finals if you can. You might check facebook for Carl Built amplifiers, I saw here he is building amps again. Too bad HG finals are pretty much the only option these days.

Last edited:
Your better off finding a clean older Texas Star with Toshiba finals if you can. You might check facebook for Carl Built amplifiers, I saw here he is building amp again. Too bad HG finals are pretty much the only option these days.
His prices are pretty good. 200 less than the DX500 AND it has HG pills in it. If my TS is going to cost me a cent to repair, I’m just going to have it sent back and invest new money in one of those. No sense paying for something twice which is what I’d be doing with the TS.

Yeah, but add bias and preamp...and I don’t know how you paid that much for a DX500.

I think they’re hard to compare, for sure. But if you add the same features to both...a fan to the 500, and bias and preamp to the Carl Built...I calculate closer to $50 than $200.

Yeah, but add bias and preamp...and I don’t know how you paid that much for a DX500.

I think they’re hard to compare, for sure. But if you add the same features to both...a fan to the 500, and bias and preamp to the Carl Built...I calculate closer to $50 than $200.
Shipping and tax... Not worried about a preamp, even with the bias, it's only 409...plus I know the thing will work when I key it...

Yes, but even so, if you're going to be comparing price to price, all the add-ons (biasing, preamp whether you use it or not, ect.) for the Carl Built need to be added to the price in order to compare price to price with the Texas Star 500 which already has them added in the price.

Just sayin' .........

Reactions: 2NC995
Yes, but even so, if you're going to be comparing price to price, all the add-ons (biasing, preamp whether you use it or not, ect.) for the Carl Built need to be added to the price in order to compare price to price with the Texas Star 500 which already has them added in the price.

Just sayin' .........
I bet I wouldn't have had to send it back after 2 keys.. LOL
I understand what y'all are saying, I'm just a bit sour on TS at the moment is all.

Reactions: 2NC995

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.