• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DX959 (new MOSFET version) dual final mod?

lords,

thats for the radios that had a 1969 final from the factory.

my mod is for the 959's that come with an IRF520 final from the factory.

probably the same 55 watts PEP either way; i just wanted to know if anyone else had tried what i came up with.

i still have not tried it on my radio.LOL
loosecannon

LOL!

i do want to try it, but i only have the one 959, and right now its my backup radio.
with as many times as im taking my main radios apart, i always need to have one radio that works.LOL

also, it would smoke my TS-DX250.

one of these days, either i'll try it, or read about it on someone else's site.LOL

later,
loosecannon

thedirtmover said:
I have a ? though about the VRs at 10 and 11. Mabee GRTS can interlude here and put my quest for answers to a rest. Is it necessary to use a 100k Ohm pot? or can 50K be used without the 100K Ohm resistor? I have received mixed signals about using 50K Ohm (I have a bunch of 50K Ohm pots and very few 100K Ohm pots)

I think you need to keep the 100K pot and 100K resistor as shown. Removing the 100K resistor and just using a 50K pot will cause the pot to overheat and burn out.

Ok sorry to revive a dead thread but Ive been trying to do this mod and all I seem to do is toast the finals? Iam "trying" to mod a brand new DX959 MOSFET ver. Ive used the cbtricks mod. Do I need the EN-396FN bias chip? I thought that was for the old ver of this radio. When I install the new finals and key the mic the power meter pegs and in a few sec poof finals gone and there will be a dead short between the pos ang neg terminals for the power in on the back of the radio and my power supply will shut itself off until I disconnect the radio? The heat sink I installed will be hot enough to burn you? Iam not using the 33k resistor or the 396FN should I be? If I install the resistor the radio wont transmit at all. When I key the mic nothing happens other then the reciver going quiet? So does any one have any ides what Iam doing wrong? Are there any links for a dual final mod for the MOSFET ver of the 959? Thanks

Last edited:
Im also very interested in this mod for my 959 Frankenstein. Ive heard to upgrade some of the caps too. Maybe the voltage reg too?

merlin,

sorry i cant be of more help, but i guess i kind of let this thread die without any updates.

i did end up getting it to work, and used the method that i posted earlier, but i do remember having some problems with it, like the power out was the same as it was with one final, but eventually i did get it to work.

i think it was all in the biasing of the new finals, but this was a while ago.

i will tell you that the CB tricks dual mosfet mod for the DX959 is not for 959's that already have a mosfet final (any 959 made in the last 6-8 years) and wont work for trying to add a second mosfet final.

you need to look at the ranger mods and extrapolate from the similarities of the radios that are listed.

you really need to be able to read and interpret schematics and know how to align a radio to get this mod to work.
LC

This is what I was worried about. There must be a dual finals mod for the new MOSFET ver of the 959 some where? Ive blown my last set of finals (3 blown and counting :( ) I think the problem is the biasing. Could some one who has modded the new MOSFET ver of the 959 chime in and give us a clue?
merlin,

sorry i cant be of more help, but i guess i kind of let this thread die without any updates.

i did end up getting it to work, and used the method that i posted earlier, but i do remember having some problems with it, like the power out was the same as it was with one final, but eventually i did get it to work.

i think it was all in the biasing of the new finals, but this was a while ago.

i will tell you that the CB tricks dual mosfet mod for the DX959 is not for 959's that already have a mosfet final (any 959 made in the last 6-8 years) and wont work for trying to add a second mosfet final.

you need to look at the ranger mods and extrapolate from the similarities of the radios that are listed.

you really need to be able to read and interpret schematics and know how to align a radio to get this mod to work.
LC

Reactions: 1 person
merlin, the mod i posted on the first page of this thread is the method i used to do the conversion. my 959 was mosfet from the factory.

like i said, it will work, but it takes some tuning work to get it right.

this is not the type of mod that is just "plug and play".
LC

use this schematic and compare it to the DX959 mosfet schematic and you will see the parts you need to add. (the jumpers that need to be added are not in the schematics)

L34 is a 1K ohm resistor that has a small ferrite bead on one of the leads.
you should be able to find a ferrite that will work from another junked radio.
LC

This mod really hasnt been presented or explained in a much easier way to do it. I know i can do this mod, but there's really not a step by step instruction list. Im very interested in the duel final mod, i can ask Roadstar for a complete list of parts and detailed instructions in english for "home-techs".

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.