• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EBAY SELLERS

The ChipSwitch is no longer being made, Bill Nazdam has had that page up for a long time, He is a great guy and in the past I dealt with him a lot for parts.
Health problems slowed him down a lot.
Many of the HI Power Mods for the 2510/2600/lincoln/2830 are over hyped/no longer valid. For one the original guy that did the 497 swap reported higher than realistic output numbers, ( he later came back and corrected that but it was too late, the masses had already got wind of it and the false word had spread) and the 497 is just as expensive as the 477 and hard to find.
Even the 455 mod will not show the numbers expected from a 455.
It is a viable replacement for a radio with a toasted 477/497.
These radios are good SSB radio, but you gotta remember they are long in the tooth, parts like displays, obsolete IC`s , no longer made transistors, dry corrosive glue etc are starting to cause the value of the radios to fall, along with radios that have been butchered by past owners.
I would not pay more than $150 for one unless it was positively Mint in the box and then not more than $175/200 range. The Newest model Lincoln with the Factory 455 transistor is worth a bit more just due to the fact that it is the newest radio in the family made....maybe $225 tops
Remember, it is a 1980`s design.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Got the NOS Royce 1-604 on it's way to me. Other than wanting to try a Royce for the first time,I'm interested in it's built in compressor circuit and it's AGC. AGC meaning that Royce advertises that instead of a RF Gain manual control,it built in Automatic RF Gain senses whether an incoming signal is weak or strong and automatically adjusts for the best receive.
Anyone's who's owned a Royce care to comment?
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/royce/604/graphics/royce_604_om.pdf

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 4
The ChipSwitch is no longer being made, Bill Nazdam has had that page up for a long time, He is a great guy and in the past I dealt with him a lot for parts.
Health problems slowed him down a lot.
Many of the HI Power Mods for the 2510/2600/lincoln/2830 are over hyped/no longer valid. For one the original guy that did the 497 swap reported higher than realistic output numbers, ( he later came back and corrected that but it was too late, the masses had already got wind of it and the false word had spread) and the 497 is just as expensive as the 477 and hard to find.
Even the 455 mod will not show the numbers expected from a 455.
It is a viable replacement for a radio with a toasted 477/497.
These radios are good SSB radio, but you gotta remember they are long in the tooth, parts like displays, obsolete IC`s , no longer made transistors, dry corrosive glue etc are starting to cause the value of the radios to fall, along with radios that have been butchered by past owners.
I would not pay more than $150 for one unless it was positively Mint in the box and then not more than $175/200 range. The Newest model Lincoln with the Factory 455 transistor is worth a bit more just due to the fact that it is the newest radio in the family made....maybe $225 tops
Remember, it is a 1980`s design.

Jeff

Around here your lucky if you can get $50.00 out of one. Most radio shop don't want them anymore because of the obsolete parts.. :-/

I'm seeing the light here about them HR2510's. So even if say,you were to buy two NIB HR2510's with chipswitches installed it would only a matter of time say,ten years before either radio would require attention ?

I am, and have been a fan of the 2510 chassis for many years, in fact I have one of the last production runs of the Lincoln that used the MRF497 in one of my pickups now.

If you look at what I posted for prices, some may even say that I am overboard on what I would give for them, that is because i do like them.
But they do have now well known problems.
The first 2510`s built back in the early 80`s and the Lincolns that were made by President Electronics in Belgium at the same time are 30 plus years old.
The thing that is the worst is the damn glue they used to hold down voltage regulators, broadband transformers and other components.
It becomes conductive after a period of time, and corrosive....to the point it will eat enamel off of wires and eat traces off of the PC board.
I am starting to see many of the displays "leaking" and it requires a donor radio with a equally old good display to fix.
They have old not very good quality electrolytic caps in them.
You have to weigh the desire to have one over the fact that at some point they will require maintenance.
If you have excess money and just have a itch to have one, make sure it is a minty as can be, and then let someone like Roger give it some preventive work.
The ChipSwitch does have great features, but now there are other programmable radios on the market that will do the same thing without age related problems.
They are getting like the Yaesu 101 series of radios.
Yes they were great for there time.....Yes they still work with loving care....

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.