• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Echo link?

KJ4VRQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 9, 2013
Anybody do echo link?

Also, anybody use the echo link app on the iphone?
How does it work?

Not radio. Just an internet chat service. I tried it once, he was in London on his laptop, no radio involved, and asked for a QSL. I uninstalled it, and never tried it again.
Rich

Reactions: 2 people
I have it loaded on my laptop and sync it with a Bluetooth headset. As far as using it, not really, I have listened more than talked. Its a nice toy but that's about it for me.

Ok. I have never used this and I found an echo link app that requires proof of my license.

What program do you have on your laptop???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried echolink last night. Granted I am not on my radio but on my phone... However, it's actually pretty neat. Chimed in on a repeater in Jamaica and another in Pennsylvania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 person
Not radio. Just an internet chat service. I tried it once, he was in London on his laptop, no radio involved, and asked for a QSL. I uninstalled it, and never tried it again.
Rich

It's not an Internet chat site xD..

Echolink started out as just another repeater link system. Yeasu adopted the service for use with their radios and have kits to hook up their transceiver to computer ..much like their family link or icons d star..

All Internet linked repeaters use voip so they took it a step further and designed apps for computers .. cells ..etc so the radio interface is no longer needed .

You may very well talk to other hams who are using a computer or cell as this is the easiest and cheapest "if you own one already" way to get set up..

There are repeaters all over the world linked to Echolink and you can even set up your radio as an Echolink repeater if you wish.

I have used Echolink for several years now off and on and rather do enjoy it .

We also have a local repeater in conroe that is linked to Echolink and have talk to several hams worldwide on my ht in my living room.

Ham rigs are sdr and several "computer with finals" are on the market .

When using software like Echolink you just turned your cell / computer ..etc into a uhf/vhf sdr transceiver and recommend to any ham who like rag chews instead of cq contest or nets .

Hope this helps

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.