• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Echolink question.

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
My friend remotely logged in on his echo link account through my computer so I could use the program. Now when I transmitted on a 2 meter repeater through Echolink I identified myself with my own call sign and not his. (I was waiting for my echolink account to be verified.)
My call sign is valid and has been for 7 years.

My friend was also remotely in control of my pc and therefore I could not use any other links on echolink with out him allowing it.

I recently heard that someone has reported this to the FCC under bad amateur radio practices on both of our parts.

I was not under the assumption that I broke any rules or else I wouldn't have done this.

I don't understand why someone would report this to the FCC.

Now I' m worried the FCC will fine me or revoke my license.

My friend remotely logged in on his echo link account through my computer so I could use the program. Now when I transmitted on a 2 meter repeater through Echolink I identified myself with my own call sign and not his. (I was waiting for my echolink account to be verified.)
My call sign is valid and has been for 7 years.

My friend was also remotely in control of my pc and therefore I could not use any other links on echolink with out him allowing it.

I recently heard that someone has reported this to the FCC under bad amateur radio practices on both of our parts.

I was not under the assumption that I broke any rules or else I wouldn't have done this.

I don't understand why someone would report this to the FCC.

Now I' m worried the FCC will fine me or revoke my license.

no problem, you are legal**Jump_im**. you are only responsible for your RF TRANSMITTED signal

the FCC couldn't care less about anything that happens via the internet (echolink) until there is an actual RF transmission.

as long as you comply while using RF(the repeater) by IDing with YOUR callsign, you are good to go.;).

Denny's must have been full

I think you needed to use your friends call as he was the control operator. I could be wrong though. I wouldn't worry about a fine.

I'm kinda confused too.

the way I read this is that the actual input to the repeater was via the internet, if that is the case, then his friend is not the control op because there isn't any RF signal to control. the first RF usage is the repeater output and he should ID using only his callsign.

if the echolink program uses his friends radio RF to acess the repeater, then his friend IS the control op, and his FRIEND is responsille for the proper IDing, and should require him to say something like:

"this is AA1XYZ via the KK2ABC link".....

The FCC does not and will not issue a fine or revoke a license based solely on hearsay. If that was the case there would be an awful lot of licenses being revoked based on someone making up lies because they were pissed off at someone for whatever reason or simply no reason at all and just wanted to be an ass. Too many people get all wound up about thinking that the FCC will come smashing their door down looking to revoke operating privileges simply because of what some "says" they have done. The FCC always issues a letter to which you must respond and justify what you did and what steps you will take to remedy any improper operation in the future. Failing to do this step is what then leads to further enforcement action. in any event you don't have to worry about anything. Everything was legal. The guy claiming he reported you was wrong in his understanding of the legalities.

Reactions: 1 person
The FCC does not and will not issue a fine or revoke a license based solely on hearsay. If that was the case there would be an awful lot of licenses being revoked based on someone making up lies because they were pissed off at someone for whatever reason or simply no reason at all and just wanted to be an ass. Too many people get all wound up about thinking that the FCC will come smashing their door down looking to revoke operating privileges simply because of what some "says" they have done. The FCC always issues a letter to which you must respond and justify what you did and what steps you will take to remedy any improper operation in the future. Failing to do this step is what then leads to further enforcement action. in any event you don't have to worry about anything. Everything was legal. The guy claiming he reported you was wrong in his understanding of the legalities.

That is a relief. Apparently he had recordings and sent them into the FCC with his complaint. Although the recording part I don't understand because it was your regular rag chew about antennas and amateur related topics.

Some people just need to get a life.

I think Echolink is and isn't ham radio. If you are connected to another ham with the program and chatting between two computers EL is like any other internet chat program. No license required. You could let your dog bark at another ham's dog in Germany and there's nothing illegal or ham radio'ish about it...But, once you activate a repeater and/or are actually transmitting an rf signal then I believe the "remote control" aspect of ham radio kicks in. As long as you're licensed your good within the parameters of your license.

I've rarely used EL because it just seems like a novelty to me. I have groups of friends I chat with several times a week on the internet using a program called Teamspeak. None of those guys are hams.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.