• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

EKL Mod ?'s ERF2030's in a Galaxy 77

Oct 6, 2005
SE North Carolina
OK if you're reading this you know what a 77 is and it's dual final from the factory. You should already know what the EKL mod is and what a ERF2030 is.

Here is the deal with my 77, I swapped out the 2312's for a matched set from RF. I changed a few other pieces here and there and ended up with about 15-18 watts average power and almost 50 watts PEP at 14 volts.

Ok regardless of whether those numbers are distortion or harmonics or whatever...they were taken with my Coaxial Dynamics meter and I've got excellent reports from this radio in the past.

OK...I decided to try the EKL mod to see if I could match Magnum's new 80 watt radios claim. Without going into a long explanation of this and that...I don't get as much power as I did have before the conversion.

Has anyone done this to a factory dual final Galaxy and if so what kind of power did you get? Someone a lot of us probably know has said he got 70+ watts PEP doing this conversion to a Galaxy. Is it possible? How?

Assuming you used the EKL mod info from CB tricks, there is a problem with one of the bias resistor connections. I wish I'd written the specific item down when I did the mod to my General Longstreet, but one of the resistors for bias was shown to go to a point that had nothing to do with the bias of the transistor it was suppoed to bias. It was a problem that kinda jumped out at me, so I never bothered to write it down. I knew I'd spot it again if/when I did that mod again.

Well cool poppa....that's where it came from 10-4?

Would you mind looking at it and seeing if you can figure it out? I'd love to try it out like it is and get it working right. But if not, I'm going back to my matched 2312's.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.