• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Electrolytic capacitors assistance

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
Ladies and Gentlemen of wwdx, doing some old microphone rebuilding and some things are comics into question. There's various types of electrolytic caps from general purpose, non polar, low impedance just to name a few. Quality capacitors is another important part as with anything else in this hobby as well.

So maybe I'm making this more complicated than it should but I'll ask anyways.

In the search for Rubycon 4.7uf 50 Volt electrolytic capacitors specifically the YK series I've run into the lack of them. First off they are a discontinued series and have been superceded by the PK series. That was a lot of dead end roads just learning that. So I'm believing the PK series is a general purpose capacitor and with the "going better" mentality it's led me into some dead ends as well. I think that's where I'm complicating it.

Is it that critical to stay with those exact specs when it comes to the rd104 mics I'm recapping? I would rather stay with the oe specs but is "better" really better in this circuit if I go with for example audio grade caps?

Semiconductor sites don't make it very easy to navigate their sites either.....

I appreciate your input

Just a decent brand of caps (like Panasonic or Nichicon) will do the job just fine. Caps don' normally need to get replaced unless they physically leak electrolyte, or leak electrically, or have been tested and have poor equivalent series resistance ('ESR'). or shorted, or have gone open. Some simple test equipment is the only way to know for sure.

An RD mic only has a couple of caps in it anyway, so if you 'shotgun' (replacing them all) the caps, it should be a small expense. I would consider the 105/C temp rated caps to ensure a longer life. Just do one at a time and make sure you get the polarity right. Sounds like a cakewalk to me . . .

It is true that the RD mic isn't that old. Usually, it is the older caps that need replacing, unless they have been otherwise subjected to excessive heat AND cold - which is the root cause that takes a toll on the life of any cap.

Replaced some six/seven caps in an old Turner+3 desk mic, which was some +30 years old. They were tested and all were either open, shorted, had poor ESR, or had drastically changed in value. That mic went from being junk - in to one of the best Turners I have used or operated.

So unless that mic has seen much abuse and temp swings, capping it won't really do much . . .

Robb and sp5it, thank you guys for the info. The mics are from circa 2000 and have been abused with one having a cap that was somehow pulled from the board with the legs still soldered. Figured the damage, age and the fact they are taken apart now then may as well replace them all. I've got replacements coming my way now.

I wasn't sure how much difference if any it would be using different series so the reason for the original questions. Wants to keep them as original as possible due to my own ocd, was able to find the exact replacements from a guy on freeway.

Thank you fellas!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated