• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Elinco lr1 long ranger

Tweetybird

Jun 23, 2019
20200111_195031.jpg

I just fixed up one of these, but it was really dirty. If you have time, may I ask you a couple of questions about yours? Thanks, 21

I'll answer one question.

You can't turn off the preamp. There's a patent that was granted for this design. It puts the four 6BQ5 tubes in line with the antenna and the receiver.

A four-tube preamp. No joke. A really noisy preamp, to boot.

Two drawbacks to this.

First, you can't leave it in line and use the radio unless the LR is turned on and running. There is no standby.

Second, the preamp will cause receive problems.

Leads me to wonder how they sold more than a dozen of them in the first place.

I'll have to look up the patent number. Closest you'll get to a schematic, most likely.

Thank you, after running it tonight, I found out what you just said. LOL. As you turn off the amp, you can hear the receive fade out on the radio . It is a cool looking amp with the big 5U4 and all the other tubes,and it will modulate some watts as well. I had fun repairing it and using it on Old Radio Night. Thank you for your comment. 21 in S.C.

Reactions: Naysayer

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.