• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

elkhart enterprises meter cover?

space cowboy

Quack Quack
Oct 16, 2012
Michigan
4.25" x 2.75". I sent an e-mail to dosy about getting one of theirs since they look close, but no reply yet.
anyone have a dosy 4001 they can measure the meter on for me?
any suggestions for a home made alternative? most of the clear plastic things I get/have seem too flimsy or brittle.

Attachments

• 2012-10-24-141844.jpg
    2012-10-24-141844.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2012-10-24-141926.jpg
    2012-10-24-141926.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 17

I contacted Dosy about an alignment question on a meter someone had way out of whack & they got back to me pretty quick, give it some time I guess.

As for the meter cover; getting the set off FredInFl may be the way to go.

I made a cover for an old Dosy 4001 several years ago that was missing it, I used some scrap acrylic / plexi-glass & made one, I never quite finished it & it’s not the best looking thing but worked. The glass was purchased from home depot if I recall, it was used to fix a small broken window in the house & I used the scraps for the cover. It was fairly cheap too if I remember right, they had a few different sizes. Its about 1/8” inch thick or so.

Not sure what to tell you about dimensions, I just went off the meter itself so it would fit around it snug when slid on & not crush the meter movement, you should be able to do something similar. So just measure your meter & make it fit that.

I heated & bent the sides of the main piece to fit the meter snug, then super glued the top & bottom pieces on (super glue worked well on this stuff).

Some pics:

I like it pioneer. I'd be surprised if mine would turn out as well. I was asking about the measurements to see if my meter size was the same as the newer ones for buying a new cover, not so much about making one.
I did talk to fred about how much he wanted, but I could buy another set of used meters for just a bit more. maybe if I had bought them new I'd be willing to put the money into them, but to me it makes more sense to spend the money on another working set, then I'd have a whole unit full of parts as opposed to just the movement. not to mention a newer meter. I've owned these meters for 25+ years. they must be over 30+ years old.
I'd be willing to spend 9$-10$ for another cover, but not much more.

I never contacted Dosy on a replacement price, but I assumed it would be more then I would spend as well, that’s I why I made that one.

I measured my TC-4001 & it is about the same as yours; 4.25” x 2.75”

If you can’t find one, with a little time you should be able to make something up cheap. If I recall the acrylic / plexi glass was about $10 or so, I think they had smaller cheaper pieces as well, & again I just used the left over scraps from it so you don’t need much. Of course the price could be different now.

All I used was a jigsaw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade to cut out the pieces, a small butane torch to bend the sides, then super glued the top & bottom pieces on, I had to add an extra one at the bottom as the piece for the face was not quite big enough, then some sand paper to smooth up the edges & make it fit easily. I used masking tape & a sharpie to mark lines for cutting / bending.

The cover has been on these meters like that for maybe 5 years or more & fit nice & tight, but can still be popped off if needed.

Hope you find one or get something figured out though.

thanks for the measurement, pioneer. they still haven't contacted me, I'll have to send another e-mail in a day or two.
I've got some acrylic, but it's black, I wouldn't be able to see through it.
did you freehand the bends? I was thinking of putting the short end of the acrylic in a vice and pushing it over to make the bend.
good to know superglue works, I was thinking I'd have to buy some of the specialized bonding liquid.

thanks for the measurement, pioneer. they still haven't contacted me, I'll have to send another e-mail in a day or two.
I've got some acrylic, but it's black, I wouldn't be able to see through it.
did you freehand the bends? I was thinking of putting the short end of the acrylic in a vice and pushing it over to make the bend.
good to know superglue works, I was thinking I'd have to buy some of the specialized bonding liquid.

Send them another email, I contacted them a couple weeks ago & got a reply within a couple days, maybe something happened to yours.

Yeah, that’s what I did basically; measured roughly where I wanted the bends (nothing critical), clamped the small end in a bench vice, slowly heated it with my small butane torch until it softened (you have to move the torch back & forth across the length of the bend quickly & don’t heat it too fast or your bubble it), then bent it. I did this until it fit snuggly on the sides of the meter face.

After that I cut out the top & bottom pieces the shape of the bends, glued em on, then sanded the edges somewhat smooth, that’s pretty much it.

If you got some scrap pieces to practice on that may help.

Keep us posted on how it comes out if you can’t get a hold of Dosy & end up making one yourself.

I did get an e-mail back, looks like it went through a couple people's inboxes. all in all, it took just over a week.
basically it said yes, we carry them, call us and gave an 888 phone number not on their website.
I just called this morning and they want $5.65 for it, $2.60 for shipping. Seems a decent enough price so I plan on going that route. that's about the same as it would cost me just to buy a small sheet of acrylic.
thanks for the help pioneer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ishamblen
I did get an e-mail back, looks like it went through a couple people's inboxes. all in all, it took just over a week.
basically it said yes, we carry them, call us and gave an 888 phone number not on their website.
I just called this morning and they want $5.65 for it, $2.60 for shipping. Seems a decent enough price so I plan on going that route. that's about the same as it would cost me just to buy a small sheet of acrylic.
thanks for the help pioneer.

Wow great to hear! If I would have known they were that cheap I would have went that route myself, lol. Oh well I really don’t use these meters so it don’t matter. Good to know though. Guess it pays to contact the manufacture to at least inquire! Glad you got a hold of them finally.

Have a nice tc-4001 dosy that will not move at all responds to multi meter battery but not rf . Took cover off everthing looks good and un malested. Any one know where to start put signal tracer on it with rf. But next I was going to just set radio on dummy load and play with it.

Have a nice tc-4001 dosy that will not move at all responds to multi meter battery but not rf . Took cover off everthing looks good and un malested. Any one know where to start put signal tracer on it with rf. But next I was going to just set radio on dummy load and play with it.

If it were me, if it's still under warranty that is, send it to dosy for repair.
Unless you're looking for a project. I've found bad soldering in those before, more than one. Check solder connections and make sure they aren't grounding out where it's not supposed to.

Just my thoughts

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.