• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

emperor ts-5010

Outstanding! At one time, I had like 5 or 6 off em! Most I got with problems and repaired them. I only have 3 now...LOL

My original one I got, had the stupid "out of control volume" problem show up in the faceplate. Some enameled wire and a few cuss words later, (like 3yrs later), got it fixed up with new switches from Yaesu.

Now on to replacing that stupid bad filter in my VX-6R.... (I just found out about the fix a month ago!) LOL
The one thing I don't like about these is no RF gain or MIC gain dials I prefer the RCI 2950 myself

Thread Death to Life:
I bought mine brand new from Copper Electronics way back! I still run it today with it put in my 2006 VW Jetta with a Palomar 200 A/B Class Amp and a redesigned Wilson 5000! I get compliments all the time on how clear and loud the audio is with an Astatic RoadDevil mic all the time. ❤

i had forgotten all about this radio it looks like a good one, do any of you own one? how do you like it? what makes it unique? if its junk, why is it junk?
i starting like it more and more
is $300.00 too much for this type of radio?
images
This here radio is one of a kind buddy. I have run it under water in my tub and at the beech without an issue. It's not junk at all! One of the cows shit on it when I left it in the field which was Itchy's fault but even though the cb stunk and the crap got in the mic holes it worked. Tuff! I opened it up to clean it and found a lot of fancy words in another language, I think it was Turkish. My friend Blackey said these are made in Mexico so Turkish sounds right. 300.00 is a good price since I bought mine for 550.00 and the mic was extra. I have used the fence out back in the chicken coup for the antenna and it works rally well. I talked to someone from outer space last night who said he was near the milky way. Anyways, it's a good by.

after reading reviews about it it seems AM modulation sucks bullocks. if one begs to differ and uses one speak up
I haven't had any issues with my Emperor 5010 as far as modulation on AM goes, the radio was given to me by a friend after her father passed away, it had been in her closet for 5 years! After 2 years of laying under my bed, I decided to make sure that it still worked, it did, so i bought a flagpole, coax and a A99, this was in February 2023, the radio works awesome, the only thing I changed was the power hand mic, replaced it witha D-104 with good reports, it now had a Turner Plus 3 on it and I'm told it has awesome modulation!

Reactions: Smokinone
Well people,I have a six prong emperor,A TS 5010,this thing is outstanding,blows my cobra away,not even close,I have a bug light on my porch with 4 florescent tubes,I can put the lights out when I key down on it.I also run a 300 watt Amp with it,I live in ky and and can get out to Texas and Oklahoma.I have it in my ford,my dad was big in radio's this was his setup.whats funny he had the cable company running around the neighborhood for a month.I also have a 5 prong rci 2950 which I've used,it gets out there,I don't know what kind of work it's had but it's not a normal radio,I think tradio's. both hamm radios.My emporeor stock listed just a little over 500.

Well people,I have a six prong emperor,A TS 5010,this thing is outstanding,blows my cobra away,not even close,I have a bug light on my porch with 4 florescent tubes,I can put the lights out when I key down on it.I also run a 300 watt Amp with it,I live in ky and and can get out to Texas and Oklahoma.I have it in my ford,my dad was big in radio's this was his setup.whats funny he had the cable company running around the neighborhood for a month.I also have a 5 prong rci 2950 which I've used,it gets out there,I don't know what kind of work it's had but it's not a normal radio,I think tradio's. both hamm radios.My emporeor stock listed just a little over 500.
Six prong and 5 prong?? Are talking about the mic plug as in 6 pin and 5 pin? If so you have it backwards. The Emperor is a 5 pin plug and the RCI 2950 has always been a 6. If they are different someone has monkeyed around with both radios for no reason. These radios are considered export radios. They slide them by the FCC as a 10m radio (wink wink) but they are really a glorified cb. The Emperor 5010 is a great old school radio.

Hi all. For some fun tonight, I decided to try out CW with a paddle on my TS-5010. It performed surprisingly well! The CW is clean and has no chirp. It looks great on the scope. The break-in delay is a probably bit long, but that would be internally adjustable, no doubt.

FYI, after this I tried a Magnum Deltaforce, and an Alinco DX10 on CW for a comparison... Both rigs were almost unusable on CW for various reasons (chirp, delays, etc).

I would put the TS-5010 up there as one of the better rigs from that era. It is a great radio.

5010.jpg

Last edited:
My old HTX 100 was a excellent rig on CW, most of the newer mobile 10 meter rigs are worthless for serious CW work.

Jeff
Absolutely, the HTX-100 is awesome. I have 2 of them! :) . Of course, they are a dedicated 10m radio though, and not an export. (I did the extended coverage mod in mine but left them as USB/CW only.)

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.