• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

End fed dipole using open air coil

darklife

Modulating Madness
Apr 8, 2013
US
www.darkliferadio.proboards.com
So I have built a few match boxes using toroids to convert the 50ohm to the thousands of ohms required for the end fed dipole and they work well, ... actually better than just well lol.

What I am curious about is how to calculate how to do the same thing using an open air coil instead of on a toroid or ferrite bar.
Also I am experimenting with a few different types of matches and so far I seem to get the most transfer by using a simple L network instead of the more complex primary/secondary coils used in many EFHWA designs which a google image search shows.

My thought here is to use an L network, convert the 50 ohm to the thousands needed for the long 1/2 wave end fed wire, and maybe experiment with air core transformers instead of toroids.

Another idea rolling around in my head is to experiment with 75 ohm high grade coax which I have a ton of and has worked well in some situations for CB work. I am guessing using 75 ohm coax as the feed line to the matching box would require the primary part of the coil to have an extra turn or two correct?

Just some thoughts keeping me up at night.
Thanks.

Maybe HomerBB will chime in on this. I have one of his EFHW antennas, and he used a coil on it with alligator clip leads to adjust for SWR. It works quite well.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.