• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

engine noise 2005 mack granite

johnecashflo said:
finally..wow i thought it was just me..thanks for all the help guys..tried a 1 in braided wire ant bracket to chasis..wilson 2000 or 5000 tried both.. chokes on any wire involved with fuel flow (fuel feed- fuel pump)..still have the awful noise...p.s. as an after thought mack installed some kind of box under the dash to catch the noise so you can hear A.M. radio channels without as much noise ,it is still there just not as bad as the noise in my c.b radio thanks again for all the help

I think I would ask the guys at MACK what that "box" is . Please let us know , you have my curiosity up. There is nothing more aggravatiing than a noise problem. In the past i have used a mag-mount Wilson 1000 with some good results but, I have never tried it on a MACK Granite....

one of the other drivers i know talked with the local mack tech who programs -reprograms the computers on the trucks he said that they had alot of complaints about a.m. radio noise after release from factory.so they started adding these little blackboxes under the dash to catch the noise ..some kind of choke maybe??anyway that was all the help we could get from the tech... i think i willneed an elec.engineer from mack to tell me the problem(s)..they know its there they are trying to mask it with choke(s)..thanks to everyone for all the help ...

Is the noise constant when running or just when the fan kicks on?
Some guys I work with get a lot of noise when the fan kicks in.

The guys running 29's with stock mics have it real bad.

Fuel pump noise usually kicks in in the ignition-key position just before the starter.

I don't know if your truck is diesel or gas. Gas engines have ignition noise, which is a ticking sound matching the engine RPM rate. Diesels only have fuel injectors to deal with. Fuel pump noise doesn't track the engine RPM.

Alternators are rarely associated with RFI, only a whine heard if your radio isn't wired directly to battery.

The fan thing is certainly something to check out. Noise only kicks in when pushing the gas, or after the engine heats up? when does the noise die out again?

Is your transmit VSWR good? Sometimes the same antenna ground issues that cause poor VSWR can cause receive noise troubles as well.

thanks again guys for all the replys..the noise only comes into play when you are on the fuel peddle ..acclerating..as the rpms go up the the signal meter on the radio goes up as the noise goes up..and level off say 1600 or 1800 as soon as you get back on the fuel to accl..here comes the noise..always worse when loaded of course.. no noise when down shifting back pressure rpms do not cause any noise.... :(

i still havnt found the source of the noise but.. i did fnd out that if i touch the whip on the wilson 2000 or 5000 with my finger that the noise completly dissapear..anybody know what i can do to solve this awful problem... PLEASE HELP.....

johnecashflo,

Switch to Wilson Silver tips.........I did and my '05 Granite "Dump Bucket" has lost almost all of that D*M noise.....
We did wire the truck ourselves with upgraded coax ( our shop wires all our trucks ;) )....My Magnum S-3 now can "Hear' that "pin" drop with very 'lil "Alt.wine" :D :D ..only problem now is when I run the "Beacons"..sounds like star wars through the speakers 8) 8) ....

These trucks maybe RD upgrades within the CAB but that brings major headaches with it.......Even the new CT Granites have "Noise" issues :roll: :roll: .....We have "lost" finals in 2 radios due to antenna "Faults"...both times ,Wilson 2000s breaking or shorting in their mounts........I was the lucky one,the SWR light came on when my 2000 case cracked and I carry the "Glass" antennas in the pick-up..switched them out and have NEVER looked back ;) :D :D

With 8 Granites in the fleet we have tried EVERYTHING to chase the noises..some work ,some not......Sweat and patience hopefully lead you to a quiter radio....

Snoope back quiet

p.s. We run an assortment of radios and they ALL have had issues....plus antenna selections are from cheap to 5000 Wilsons......

sorry guys for no comeback, its been a little hecktict the past couple of weeks around here..thanks again for all the help..im waiting on my silverload and coax..i will get back to you all and let everyone know how it turns out..thanks again for all the help

well ive tried everthing all 4 corners of the cab grounded,doors grounded to chasis, antenna mount grounded to door, tried silver load,wilson 2000and5000 the NOISE is killing my ears,, :(

johnecashflo said:
well ive tried everthing all 4 corners of the cab grounded,doors grounded to chasis, antenna mount grounded to door, tried silver load,wilson 2000and5000 the NOISE is killing my ears,, :(

I've yet to hear of a fix for Mack noise in radios. It's the damned electronic fuel injectors causing it. My 2002 Mack did the same thing.

The only thing I have heard of to reduce injector noise ; is to put a type of capacitor on each injector wire . LOTS OF TIME & LABOR involved in doing this. THIS WILL BE A PAIN !!! I'll see if I can find some info , may take a few days! B*U*M*M*E*R !

I know this is a old post but has anyone had any luck?? I just started driving a 2005 Mack granite e7 350 and I'm dealing with the same problem, the receive on my radio gets incredibly loud it even changes tone when the engine is under load, it's fine when it idles, I even tried a inline low pass filter ,nothing!
Any help would be appreciated

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.