• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ENJOYED A BIT OF SKIP

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
Up until yesterday I hadn't turned on my station in approximately 50 days. I was surprised to hear some skip. On Monday. There was plenty of Caribbean stations on 27.5 1550.
Today (Tuesday) I turned on the Madison, and lo and lol heard several stations making the trip to New Jersey. Some from South Dakota. Some from Florida, and 459 (peeping) Tom from Ontario Canada. Enjoyed a 10-minute qso. It certainly brought back some good memories. I hope I'll be around for the next solar cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

50 days!!?? I think I would have withdrawals. :LOL:

Lima 2, Meadowlands NJ
Before the approximately 50 day no Radio use I didn't turn anything on for about 5 months. I kind of know what you're talking about. I'm fortunate enough to have approximately a dozen locals. So even when the DX is in Rolling In there's always someone to talk to. I was just going through some other things that made it difficult to find the time. I'm on a little vacation until Monday. So I think I'm going to turn on the radio about twice a day. What I'll do is turn the squelch and volume up, and did no matter where I am in the house I'll here someone break through, and head right for the shack (which happens to be the extra bedroom LOL.) I was very surprised to hear so many stations coming in. If my memory serves me correctt it started about 5 p.m. . It lasted until around 6 or 6:30, and then dropped out for an hour, and then came back really strong. Buying joy that tremendously, but it's kind of like a tease. I don't know if the weather has something to do with the fact that there was some decent propagation. I don't watch the news, or Weather Channel that much, but I heard there's a nor'easter heading this way (NJ.) I don't know where it is now, but it's supposed to be hitting us on Saturday. It was just the kind of luck I have that when I decided to get back on the air three years ago the cycle only had about a year-and-a-half left. I would make contacts all over the world for that whole year and a half, and then just silence. At this point the only DXM I'm assuming is mostly North America. Well I hope you turn Oregon today, and here and make some contacts. You're in NJ just like I am. I'm a bit south of you in the Vincentown area. If you were on (especially SSB) yesterday I'm sure you would have heard and made contacts. There's a live 24-hour CB radio feed on YouTube. I think it's in Montana. Sometimes I'll check out the live feed, and if I hear DX in Montana, and I'm at home near the shack I'll turn the rig on. The guy who runs the channel has a really nice setup on YouTube. His 24-hour a day free CB radio feed scans all the frequencies. Even the free bands. If I hear stopping often it's usually a good sign that turning on the rig will yield some DX Cameron New Jersey.unfortunately the Meadowlands is out of my transmitting, and receiving range. Although on 27.5255 I held a q show with a guy who was approximately 20 miles north of you. He basically had no signal, but it was so quiet that his audio made it through without issue. Be also stated I had no signal, but that he had no problem hearing me because of the quietness inherit up in that area of the band. I hope you catch some DX today. 73's my friend

Reactions: L2
i have not turned on the radio in a few years. dont rely miss it. its in storage until my new house is ready to move into

Reactions: Sonar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.