• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Enough Mast??

Whiplash-265

Aug 14, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hey all..

If i'm throwing up 3 antennas i start with the beam at top, i can toss a 6m right below it and finally an 11m just off the tip of the tower..??
I'm planning to add a lower plate to the tower for the rotor (probably two rungs...Golden Nugget tower), giving the mast more stability so i'll probably have roughly 6 feet of mast to play with...approx 4.5 to 5 feet between the 6m and 11m beams. Will that be enough?

Thanx!!

That is pretty close spacing and there will be some effects. Just how much remains to be seen.You may need to do some adjustments to retune the antennas to compensate for being so close together or you may get lucky and not have to do a thing.

Just what type antenna are you planning to use? You stated "the beam at the top" but what beam and what band? Also what are the 6m and 11m antennas? Normally you put the largest antenna at the bottom of the stack and the smallest at the top. This reduces windloading and stresses of the mast. speaking of the mast, what are you going to use for one?

Reactions: 1 person
oooh crap, i meant vertical on the top CK, my bad

prob an imax 2000 to start, i have one here i paid $60 for
i'll use the home made 6m underneath it to act as somewhat of a gpk
all in all i'll lose a little over a foot with those two

the 11 meter will be just above the top bearing (sleeve, dunno why they call it a bearing lol). Again home brew, based on a frankenstein i've been able to find.

Mast is a 10' 1.5" 18ga stainless that i purchased with the tower...seems pretty hefty, it weighs more than one section of tower. The rotor is the Yaesu G-1000DXA

I passed the exam, but only got 77% so that's why the 6m. No interest in 2m+

I get it now;11m right at the top of the tower, the 6m yagi about 4-5 feet above that and then the 11m vertical on the top of the mast with the 6m yagi as a groundplane. No problem with the vertical and the 6m yagi and not likely too much of a problem with the 6m and 11m yagi. I ran my six element 6m yagi about 4-5 feet above my A3 tribander without a problem and an eleven element 2m yagi mounted horizontal about 4 feet above the 6m yagi without an issue. My new arrangement will have an Explorer-14 tribander with 40m add-on kit on the bottom of the stack with an A3WS for 12/17m six feet above it,the 6m yagi five feet above that and the 2m yagi another five feet above the 6m yagi so I am hoping that I do not have any issues with that spacing.

hope things work out for you too CK :)

If you're willing to go with only 6' between monsters like the tribander and A3WS i should be alright :)

as always, thanx for your advice!!

i didn't think I could binrat? I know you can rewrite if you fail, but haven't seen anything about rewriting for basic honours. I thought my only option was to shoot for Advanced/Tech?

hope things work out for you too CK :)

If you're willing to go with only 6' between monsters like the tribander and A3WS i should be alright :)

as always, thanx for your advice!!

Being willing and not really having an alternative are two different things. :cry: That puts a lot of wind load on a 16 foot mast out the top of the tower. I can't risk any more than that but based on my past setups I feel I can live with any issues that may present themselves. Hygain says not to put any other antennas closer than six feet to the EX-14 so that is my benchmark for the others as well. Actually I can't mount anything closer to the EX-14 as there is an element truss to support the driver element when the 40m add on kit is added as it makes the driver element 42 feet long. The truss has to be positioned about 5-6 feet up the mast.

Why don't you rewrite and hopefully get your HF priveledges.

i didn't think I could binrat? I know you can rewrite if you fail, but haven't seen anything about rewriting for basic honours. I thought my only option was to shoot for Advanced/Tech?

Check with Industry Canada, I'm pretty sure they just started to allow re-writes in Dec 11.

I've fired off an email to the gent that i wrote the exam through binrat, i'll see what he says and go from there. Thanks for the eye opener ;)

Not sure what you guys mean but there is no reason why you cannot write the Basic exam over and over until you pass it. I know people that have written the exam several times, granted that was a long time ago but unless they disallowed rewrites (I cannot imagine why) and then allowed them again you could always rewrite any level of the exam.

Not sure what you guys mean but there is no reason why you cannot write the Basic exam over and over until you pass it. I know people that have written the exam several times, granted that was a long time ago but unless they disallowed rewrites (I cannot imagine why) and then allowed them again you could always rewrite any level of the exam.

I think the exception might be why would i rewrite if i passed :) Only thing i failed to do was get honours which allows me full freq. usage.
They do allow unlimited rewrites for sub 70 scores, w/o honours though i'm not sure of and haven't been able to find anything on the IC or even the RAC site regarding this. Definitely gonna keep hunting for an answer tho :D

Re: willing vs. no alternative: I know you'll make it work :) You've got a lifetime of knowledge and experience.
Wonder if setting the beams at 90° to each other would help? The boom is the only thing attached to the mast, the elements being isolated from ground (minus the driven strictly by coax) might have a lesser effect? Just thoughts, tryin' to learn from potentially stupid questions lol.

capt kw,
If you write for the basic but fail to obtain a mark required for the "+" or hf with a power limit of 250 watts, you can now rewrite to try and obtain the basic "+" if your grade is high enough.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.